Friday, March 4, 2011

Cents Spring Camp Details, Former Cents netminder Brad Thiessen Named AHL Goaltender of the Month:

I couldn't find where I posted this before, but I chatted last month with Cents coach & GM Luke Pierce about this year's Spring Camp in Merritt. As Luke mentions in the interview, there are also plans for an Abbotsford camp in June with details still to be worked out.

Here's the official release about the Spring Camp:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – February 10, 2011

The Merritt Centennials announced today the details for their 2011 Spring Evaluation Camp in Merritt on April 1-3. Registration is from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, April 1, 2011 at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

“Last year, six players who attended our Spring Evaluation Camp received invites to our Main Training Camp in August and wound up on our roster for the season," said Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce. "We are once again this year looking for players with a superior work ethic, attitude, strong skating ability and most importantly, demonstrate a will to compete every time they’re on the ice.”

The cost of the camp is $150.

For complete details, please visit www.merrittcentennials.com and click on "2011 Spring Camps".

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Brad Thiessen of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins has been named the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February. Thiessen allowed 12 goals in 10 appearances during the month, posting an 8-2-0 record, a 1.28 goals-against average, a .943 save percentage and three shutouts.

After missing six games – plus the AHL All-Star Classic – due to injury, Thiessen returned to the Penguins crease on Feb. 7 with a 21-save shutout of Albany. He was named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week after stopping 99 of 102 shots in five games from Feb. 7-13, and led Wilkes-Barre to a big two-game sweep in Norfolk with 35 saves in a 3-0 win on Jan. 18 and 26 stops in a 2-1 shootout victory on Jan. 19. All told, Thiessen made 199 saves on 211 shots during February.

In recognition of his achievement, Thiessen will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Penguins home game.

Thiessen (26-6-0), who shared the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month award with teammate John Curry in October 2010, leads the American Hockey League with 26 wins, a 1.90 goals-against average and six shutouts (tied) in 34 games, and his .924 save percentage is good for ninth in the league. The second-year pro from Aldergrove, B.C., was 14-14-1 (2.45, .914) with four shutouts in 30 AHL games as a rookie with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2009-10.