Monday, March 28, 2011

Cents Merritt Spring Camp Full, but Second Camp Added for Abbotsford in June, TRU WolfPack Falls 5-2 to SFU in BCIHL Championship:

I'll have more on Spring Camp in the next day or so with Cents Head Coach/GM Luke Pierce, but the team announced today that this weekend's camp is full and now another evaluation camp is set for June in Abbotsford. Finally, some news about the current Centennials team! Not that I'm sick of talking about all the great Merritt alumni, but it's good to look ahead to the future too!

The Merritt Centennials would like to announce that their 2011 Spring Camp scheduled for April 1 - 3 at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena is now full.

"The response we've received from players interested in becoming a member of the Centennials organization has been excellent," said Cents GM/Head Coach Luke Pierce. "Because there was such significant interest, I'm pleased to announce that we're planning a second camp for June."

The Centennials will hold another Spring Evaluation Camp in Abbotsford on the weekend of June 24, 25 and 26.

For more information regarding either the Merritt camp this weekend or the Abbotsford camp in June, please contact Cents GM/Head Coach Luke Pierce by phone at 250-378-3607 or email luke@merrittcentennials.com

(Former Cents netminder Anthony Manfredi - photo courtesy TRU Athletics)

The WolfPack battled hard but came up short losing 5-2 to SFU in the BCIHL Championship Final Sunday night.

SFU held a 1-0 lead after 1 period with a Power Play goal from Colby Kulhanek at 7:56.

The Clan stretched their lead to 2-0 after the 2nd period on another Power Play marker from Paul Mascone at 3:54.

SFU extended their lead to 3-0 on yet another Power Play goal from Mascone at 12:56 of the 3rd period.

TRU finally got a puck past SFU goaltender Justin Mulholland with a Power Play marker of their own from Zac Rasmussen at 11:48 of the 3rd period.

SFU restored their 3 goal lead with their 4th Power Play goal of the night from Ben Van Lare at 9:51 of the 3rd period.

WolfPack veteran Joel Leonard kept TRU’s hopes alive with a goal 13 seconds later to narrow the score to 4-2.

But Ben Van Lare sealed the victory with an empty net goal at 2:02 of the 3rd period.

Despite the loss TRU goaltender Anthony Manfredi was solid once again for the ‘Pack.

TRU Head Coach Lorne Cumming said, "I thought the guys put in a good effort. We didn’t get the start we wanted but we battled hard. Unfortunately we hit a couple of posts that could have been the goals that made the difference. And while it is very disappointing to loose I am very proud of all of our players."