Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cents Wrap Up Cariboo Weekend with 3-1 Loss in Prince George, Brett Kolins joins Abbotsford of the PIJHL, Cents Assistant Coach Chad Deleeuw on Ebay:

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1
Prince George Spruce Kings at 9:24 - RJay Berra from Zac Ashdown and Nic DeSousa

PERIOD 2
Prince George Spruce Kings at 4:05 (PP) - Justin Fillion from Connor Tiechko and Zac Ashdown
Prince George Spruce Kings at 8:32 - Justin Fillion from Jeff Earnest and Brendon Fornwald

PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 13:54 - Dustin Lebrun from Brandon Pfeil

Lino Chimienti took the loss for the Cents, making 13 saves before being pulled in favour of Tyler Steel, who didn't allow a goal. By all accounts, Chimienti being pulled had much more to do with trying to wake up the team than the way he played. Steel made eight saves and allowed no goals in relief. Alex Wright made 34 saves for the win for PG.

The Cents scored just four goals in three games on the weekend against teams which give up an average of nearly four (Quesnel - 3.90) or more than four (PG - 4.50) per game. What's a bit perplexing about this team is that last weekend, they scored nine goals in two games after being blanked by Powell River.

With the loss, Merritt falls to 3-3-0-4 in its last ten games and still has points in seven of its last ten. The next four games are huge as they are all on home ice. The Cents host Vernon on Friday (minus Dylan Walchuk), Westside on Saturday (minus Grayson Downing), Quesnel on Sunday, and Penticton (minus Joey Laleggia, Brendan O'Donnell and Mark MacMillan) the following Saturday. All of the above teams mentioned will have those players away at the World Junior 'A' Challenge in Penticton.

KOLINS JOINS JUNIOR B TEAM

(Suspended Cents defenceman Brett Kolins)

Defenceman Brett Kolins, who the Centennials acquired from Victoria as part of the Dustin Johnson trade earlier this month, has joined the Abbotsford Pilots of the PIJHL.

Kolins refused to report to Merritt following the trade and was subsequently suspended by the team. He doesn't have the option to play junior 'A' anywhere in Canada because the Centennials own his rights, but they have no control over whether or not he joins a junior 'B' team, which is exactly what Kolins did.

The Cents still have the option of trading Kolins or they can release him outright and he'll be free to join any junior 'A' team. My personal opinion is that there will be a deal made eventually, but Luke Pierce has made it clear that it has to be a move that benefits his team, sooner or later.

CHAD DELEEUW FEATURED ON EBAY

If you're a big fan of Cents assistant coach Chad Deleeuw, here's your chance to own an autographed photo from when he played in the BCHL with the Penticton Panthers!

Here's the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/CHAD-DELEEUW-SIGNED-PHOTO-PENTICTON-PANTHERS-BCHL-BCJHL-/400168369234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2be4bc52

Get your bids in, it's only $4.99 US!

Cents Drop Second Straight in Double OT, 2-1 in Quesnel:

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1
Quesnel Millionaires at 5:35 - Michael Spring from Derek Huisman and Daryl DeVries
Merritt Centennials at 15:42 (PP) - Regan Soquila from David Sabey and Chad Brears

PERIOD 2
No Scoring

PERIOD 3
No Scoring

OVERTIME PERIOD 2
Quesnel Millionaires at 1:00 - Spencer Graboski from Chris Kerr and Anderson White

Cents netminder Tyler Steel made 28 saves to drop his GAA to 4.07 and up his save percentage to .882, despite the loss. Kirby Halcrow kicked out 35 Centennials shots to get the win for Quesnel.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Spruce Kings Edge Centennials 3-2 in Double OT

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1
Prince George Spruce Kings at 18:02 - Jeff Datoff from Jeff Earnest and Jujhar Khaira

PERIOD 2
Prince George Spruce Kings at 2:01 - Connor Tiechko from Brendon Fornwald and Jeff Earnest

PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 16:32 (PP) - Regan Soquila from Jeff Jones and David Sabey
Merritt Centennials at 19:48 - Max Vallis from Richard Sabourin and Regan Soquila

OVERTIME PERIOD 2
Prince George Spruce Kings at 2:52 - Nic DeSousa from Justin Fillion and Zac Ashdown

Lino Chimienti made his second straight start for the Centennials and kicked out 23 shots in the loss. Alex Wright looked very sharp for PG in making 34 saves for his first win of the season.

With the defeat, Merritt has more overtime losses than any other BCHL team at four, but remains sixth in the Interior Conference. The Centennials still have points in seven of their last nine games.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cents Weekly Recap, Former Cents defenceman Austin Baecker Traded, Cariboo Road Trip Notes, Canada West Roster, Grisdale & Sales Sign Extensions with the BCHL:

The website that I use to host my audio has become a spyware/malware factory, so to protect any PC I upload audio from, I'll try the YouTube route. It should also make it easier for anyone who wants to hear the audio to listen.

CENTS WEEKLY RECAP

The Cents are on their first two-game win streak of the season and are making their way up the standings in the BCHL's Interior Conference. With points in six of their last eight games and a .500 record in October (3-3-0-3), this weekend up north is huge.

I had the chance to talk to Luke Pierce about last week and the weekend upcoming earlier this week.

FORMER CENTS DEFENCEMAN AUSTIN BAECKER TRADED

18-year-old defenceman Austin Baecker, who the Cents traded to Grand Prairie two weeks ago as part of the deal to acquire Lino Chimienti, is back on a BCHL roster. Baecker didn't go to the AJHL simply because he's still with the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds.

He was acquired by Vernon earlier this week and is now showing up on their roster.

Baecker can be a physical presence, he's huge for a young guy and also is a decent skater. I think he does have a lot to learn though and it remains to be seen if he even joins the Vipers.

Baecker struggled last season with a back injury and was also a healthy scratch with the Centennials in the playoffs. He was in Merritt for the start of training camp this season before heading off to Seattle. There may be something the Vipers know that I don't, but any conversations I've had with Baecker indicate that it's his aspiration to play in the WHL and not in junior 'A'.

CARIBOO WEEKEND ROAD TRIP NOTES

The Cents make their first trip up north this weekend to play two games in Prince George and one game in Quesnel.

As fans, we look at these three games as absolutely crucial, but I talked to Cents netminder Lino Chimienti yesterday and he said they want to take the trip one game at a time and just focus on getting the win. He stressed that they don't really look much at the standings, especially just a quarter through the season. For the record, Chimienti will get the start in PG tomorrow night.

However, these are big games for the Centennials as more often than not, good teams beat the teams below them as both PG and Quesnel are. It'll be a stiff challenge for the Cents and one I think they'll rise to.

In terms of line-up changes, Evan Stack, Steve Wall and Reece Willcox will likely miss all three games with injuries while Dylan Playfair and Sean Maktaak both return from three and six game suspensions respectively. Luke Pierce told me today that they will have Merrittonian Payton Schaefer, who's playing with the KIJHL's Kamloops Storm, with them on the trip as an AP.

CANADA WEST ROSTER ANNOUNCED

Earlier this week, Hockey Canada announced the roster for Canada West at next month's World Junior 'A' Challenge.

Here's the announcement:

Burnaby, BC - October 25, 2010

A total of eight British Columbia Hockey League players have been selected to compete for Team Canada West at the upcoming 2010 World Junior A Challenge, which runs from November 8th to 14th at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton.

Team Canada West’s 22-man roster was announced Monday by Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson and Canada West general manager Rylan Ferster. It includes three members of the Penticton Vees, two members of the Trail Smoke Eaters and one player each from the Victoria Grizzlies, Vernon Vipers and Westside Warriors.

Four of the BCHL players named to the team are returnees from the squad that won silver at the 2009 World Junior A Challenge in Summerside, PEI.

The eight BCHL representatives on Team Canada West are:

Madison Dias, F, Victoria Grizzlies — A returnee from last season’s silver medal-winning team, Dias is competing in his third season in the BCHL and has collected 10 points through 14 games. The Penticton, B.C. product set a career-high with 43 points last season and has committed to Cornell University for the 2011/12 season.

Grayson Downing, F, Westside Warriors — Another member of the team that won silver in Summerside a year ago, Downing is well on his way to a career high in points with 21 through 17 games. The Abbotsford, B.C. native is in his third BCHL season and has committed to the University of New Hampshire for 2011/12.

Joey Laleggia, D, Penticton Vees — A member of the 2009 silver medal-winning team, Laleggia leads all BCHL defencemen in points with 23 through 18 games. An Interior Conference Top Defenceman nominee as a rookie last season, the Burnaby, B.C. native recently committed to the University of Denver.

Mark MacMillan, F, Penticton Vees — A fourth round draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens earlier this year, MacMillan recently returned from an injury suffered in Penticton’s season opener. Last season’s Coastal Conference Rookie of the Year is coming off an 80-point campaign and a scholarship commitment to North Dakota.

Sam Mellor, F, Trail Smoke Eaters — Mellor is currently second in BCHL scoring with 35 points through 19 games on the heels of a 63-point rookie season. The Cranbrook, B.C. product has committed to attend the University of Alaska-Anchorage and was recently named to the Watch List for the 2011 NHL Draft.

Brendan O’Donnell, F, Penticton Vees — O’Donnell will be competing at the WJAC for the second consecutive year after being named to the team as a member of the Winnipeg South Blues last season. A sixth round draft selection of the Tampa Bay Lightning, O’Donnell has counted 11 points in 18 games with the Vees this season.

Travis St. Denis, F, Trail Smoke Eaters — Currently seventh in league scoring with 31 points in 19 games, St. Denis is already a three-year BCHL veteran at just 18-years old. The Trail, B.C. product is a Quinnipiac University commit who was recently named to Central Scouting’s Watch List for the 2011 NHL Draft.

Dylan Walchuk, F, Vernon Vipers — Walchuk leads the Vipers in scoring with 19 points in 18 games and played a key role in helping Vernon to their second consecutive RBC Cup championship in May as a rookie. The 18-year old is committed to Northern Michigan University for the 2011/12 season.

Canada West is pooled in Group B at the event and will face Switzerland and Russia in the round-robin portion of the tournament on November 8th and 10th respectively. The semi-finals will be held on Saturday, November 12th and the Gold Medal game will be televised nationally on TSN on Sunday, November 14th.

The team will have a pair of tune-up games prior to beginning of the event, as they will take on Canada East at the Wesbild Centre in Vernon on November 5th and the United States at the South Okanagan Events Centre on November 6th.

I chatted with Canada West GM Rylan Ferster about the team's roster:

COMMISSIONER JOHN GRISDALE AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DAVE SALES SIGN EXTENSIONS WITH THE BCHL

The BCHL announced contract extensions for Commissioner John Grisdale and Executive Director Dave Sales last week.

That release is here:

The British Columbia Hockey League’s Board of Governors has announced that Commissioner John Grisdale and Executive Director David Sales will continue to lead the BCHL’s League Office after each signed a three-year contract extension that will carry through the conclusion of the 2013/14 season.

Grisdale and Sales both joined the BCHL in 2003 and founded the league’s Head Office in Burnaby. In the years since, they have helped grow the BCHL’s reputation as Canada’s top Junior A organization and as an elite developer of student athletes for university and college hockey.

"On behalf of the BCHL’s Board of Governors, I’m thrilled to be announcing that John and David will continue in their roles as key leaders within the British Columbia Hockey League," Chairman Darcy Rota says. "Both John and David have worked tirelessly to advance the position of Junior A hockey in B.C. and we’re excited that they will be a vital part of maintaining the league’s long-term growth."

As Commissioner and Executive Director, Grisdale and Sales have overseen a period of growth for the BCHL that has included tremendous results both on and off the ice.

"From a business perspective and in terms of the quality of our game, the belief from our Board is that John and David have helped navigate the league through a number of substantial challenges and have been responsible for many of the positive developments we have experienced in recent years," Rota says.

"I would like to thank the Board of Governors and everybody involved with the BCHL for their continued support and confidence," Grisdale says. "David and I look forward to furthering the BCHL as a league that provides first-class entertainment to our fans and a great opportunity for players to grow as young men and advance their hockey careers."

I chatted with Coquitlam Express GM and BCHL Chairman of the Board Darcy Rota about the contract extensions:

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cents Dump Millionaires 4-1:

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1
Quesnel Millionaires at 3:42 - Malcolm Gould from Devin Balness and Stefan Gonzales
Merritt Centennials at 11:49 - Silvan Harper from Dustin Lebrun

PERIOD 2
No Scoring

PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 9:34 - Jeff Jones from Max Vallis
Merritt Centennials at 16:46 (PP) - Jakob Reichert from Steve Tresierra
Merritt Centennials at 18:52 (EN) - Silvan Harper from Jakob Reichert and Jeff Zmurchyk

Lino Chimienti makes 20 saves for his second win in three starts while Kirby Halcrow kicked out 35 Merritt shots in the loss.

The Centennials have now won two of their last three and have points in six of their last eight. They are 3-2-0-3 in that span.

Merritt vs. Quesnel Line-Ups:

MERRITT

Vallis-Jones-Reichert
Soquila-Brears-Sabey
Lebrun-Fletcher-Harper
Schmidt

Crawford-Tresierra
Pfeil-Zmurchyk
Sabourin-Marshall

Chimienti
Steel

QUESNEL

Balness-Hogan-Gould
Graboski-Kerr-Chessa
Burgart-Allbee-Buckellew
Spring-Huisman-Devries

Higgins-Smutek
White-Thompson
Zgraggren-Gonzales

Halcrow
Harris

Cents beat Warriors 5-3:

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Merritt Centennials at 1:48 - Jeff Jones from David Sabey
Westside Warriors at 5:01 - Travis Blanleil from Brett Mckinnon and Matt Cronin
Westside Warriors at 5:19 - Tyler Krause from Alex Grieve and Grayson Downing
Merritt Centennials at 11:09 - Dustin Lebrun (unassisted)

PERIOD 2

Westside Warriors at 1:14 - Tyler Brickler from Max French and Dru Morrison
Merritt Centennials at 5:48 - Steve Tresierra from Jeff Jones and Max Vallis
Merritt Centennials at 17:24 - David Sabey from Richard Sabourin

PERIOD 3

Merritt Centennials at 4:49 - Jakob Reichert from Jeff Jones and Max Vallis

Westside outshot Merritt 42-34. Tyler Steel made 39 saves for the win, while Cam Gorchynski kicked out 29 saves in the loss.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Suspensions Official, Jared Andersen Released, Steve Wall & Evan Stack Injured, Cole Holowenko Cut By Chilliwack:

BCHL SUSPENDS PLAYFAIR AND MAZZAROLO

The BCHL made the suspensions to Cents forward Dylan Playfair and Express defenceman Matt Mazzarolo official yesterday. Here's from the league site:

Mazzarolo, Matt (COQ) and Playfair, Dylan (ME) each suspended 3 games for Staged Fight in October 16, 2010 game.

It means Playfair is eligible to return next Friday in Prince George.

CENTS RELEASE JARED ANDERSEN

With Tyler Steel eligible to return from suspension tonight and Lino Chimienti on board, something had to give in relation to the Centennials goaltending situation. The odd man out wound up being 20-year-old Jared Andersen as he was released by the team.

Andersen, who was acquired along with future considerations from Grand Prairie for Mitch Jones during the off-season, had an 0-5 record with the Cents this season, a 5.55 goals-against-average and a .842 save percentage in six games played.

Jared's a respectful guy and I hope that he lands on his feet somewhere to play out the remainder of his junior hockey career.

CENTS INJURY SUMMARY

The Cents will be without forward Evan Stack for tonight's game against Powell River as he suffered a high ankle sprain in Saturday's win over Coquitlam.

It was one of those injuries that is painful to watch because his ankle and leg bent in a way that they're just meant to. Actually, Stack's injury caused the 2-on-1 on Coquitlam's second goal. He's expected to be out for up to four weeks.

Forward Steve Wall injured himself during off-ice training on Tuesday and he's officially a game time decision for tonight.

COLE HOLOWENKO CUT BY WHL'S CHILLIWACK BRUINS

Former Cents netminder Cole Holowenko has been cut by the Chilliwack Bruins for the second straight season.

They tried to send him back to the Centennials, but Luke Pierce likes the tandem he has now and a trade involving Holowenko, either at the BCHL or WHL level is expected.

I chatted with Luke about all of the above topics earlier this week:

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekend Recap, Cents Fan Bus, Cents Sign Brent Fletcher:

WEEKEND RECAP

After their best stretch of the season which saw the team pick up three of four points and four of a possible six, I talked with Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce about the games against Penticton and Coquitlam, plus the play of AP's Payton Schaefer and Brent Fletcher and the upcoming stretch of games against Powell River, Westside, Quesnel and Prince George.

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

CENTS FAN BUS TO WESTSIDE

The Cents also have a Fan Bus organized for Saturday's game in Westside and it's in jeopardy due to lack of response. It's just $40 including ticket to the game and return trip to West Kelowna. I had Cents Marketing Manager Maddison Canuel on the show this morning to talk about it.

Cents Marketing Manager Maddison Canuel

Click here to download

CENTS SIGN BRENT FLETCHER

The Cents have signed forward Brent Fletcher after AP'd with the team three times already this season.

Here's the official release:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the signing of 18-year-old forward Brent Fletcher.

Fletcher, who's from New Westminster, has played three games with the Cents as an affiliate player this season, posting two goals.

He's spent most of the 2010-11 season with the Ridge-Meadows Flames of the Pacific International Junior Hockey League. With the Flames, Fletcher led all team rookies in scoring with four goals and three assists in 12 games.

"Brent impressed us through training camp and exhibition and was very close to making our team at the start of the season," said Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce. "Based on his play as an affiliate player with us this season, we believe Brent will be a solid contributor for the next three years and we're looking forward to seeing him in a Centennials jersey on a regular basis."

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cents Dylan Playfair to be suspended, Brett Kolins is a no show, Sunday Moves:

(Cents forward Dylan Playfair)

JUNIOR A SUPPLEMENT STRIKES AGAIN

As a result of a fight between Cents forward Dylan Playfair and Coquitlam defenceman Matt Mazzarolo in the second period of last night's game, both players are set to be suspended for three games each.

It's the Junior A Supplement in play once again, as referee Kris Hartley determined that the fight was "staged" and according to the new rules, any staged fight is subject to a minimum three game suspension for the participants. Here's how the rule reads:

7.3 Staged Fights and Leaving the Bench ‐ Players shall be deemed to have left the bench should they enter the ice surface after a whistle and get involved in an altercation before or immediately after the drop of the puck to start the new play and at the conclusion of any game when players have left the bench.

7.3.1 Staged Fights ‐ Players participating in a staged fight shall be subject to a suspension.
• If there is no instigator, each player shall be suspended 3 games and the teams shall be given a verbal warning by the game official.

There was a lot of debate in the arena last night as to whether or not the scrap between Playfair and Mazzarolo actually could be considered as "staged", but that was the referee's call and both teams have to live with it.

What it means for the Centennials is that just when they started to get bodies returning from suspension, (Reichert and Marshall last night, Steel and Zmurchyk this Friday) they'll continue to be without Sean Maktaak through this weekend and now Playfair. There's been lots of talk around the arena of the Cents signing AP Brent Fletcher, who's played well in his three appearances and was one of the last cuts from training camp. I'll post here if I find out anything about Fletcher's status with the team changing.

KOLINS DOESN'T REPORT TO MERRITT

After being acquired from Victoria in last week's Dustin Johnson trade, defenceman Brett Kolins (92) hasn't reported to Merritt and has reportedly asked to be traded somewhere else.

Most Cents fans are pretty ticked off about Kolins' stance as the team is seen in a lot of circles as an up and coming group with a progressive coach in Luke Pierce who's committed to building a winning program, and now here's a guy who doesn't want to play in Merritt.

We'll see if Luke ends up getting the Abbotsford product into a Centennials sweater or if there's another trade involving his rights somewhere on the horizon. In my mind, Kolins does nothing but hurt his own standing by staying home and not showcasing his talents to any teams looking to acquire him.

SUNDAY MOVES

F Jonathan Milhouse (Victoria/Vernon, 2007-10) was successful in his tryout with Victoria Salmon Kings (ECHL) and has signed a one year contract. He had 19 goals and 34 assists in 56 games with Vernon Vipers (BCHL) last season. . . .

G Billy Blase (Salmon Arm, 2005-06) was released from his tryout with Idaho Steelheads (ECHL). He had a 7-2-0 record last season with a 2.56 GAA and an. 896 save percentage with Yale University (NCAA). . . .

D Kyle Hood (Penticton/Cowichan Valley, 2000-04) is taking a timeout from hockey for personal reasons. The Osoyoos product had two goals and six assists in three games with Milano Rossoblu (Italy 2) this season. . . .

F Josh Desmarais (Quesnel, 2009-10) has been waived by Quad City Mallards (ECHL). He had 20 goals and 22 assists in 28 games with the Millionaires last season. . . .

G Mark Dekanich (Coquitlam, 2003-04) has been reassigned by Nashville Predators (NHL) to Milwaukee Admirals (AHL). He has a 1-0-0 record, a 1.22 GAA and a .951 save percentage in two appearances with the Admirals this season. . . .

F Casey Pierro-Zabotel (Merritt, 2004-07) was reassigned by Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins (AHL) to Wheeling Nailers (ECHL). The Ashcroft product has played any games this season after suffered a broken hand in training camp with Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL). He had 12 goals and 29 assists in 49 games with the Nailers last season and no points in two AHL games with the Baby Penguins. . . .

F Andrew Kozek (Surrey, 2003-05) was activated from injured reserve by Atlanta Thrashers (NHL) and assigned to Chicago Wolves (AHL). Kozek has been out with a groin injury suffered during training camp. He had 12 goals and 11 assists in 69 games with the Wolves last season. . . .

D Brett Festerling (Quesnel, 2001-02) was assigned to Syracuse Crunch (AHL) by Anaheim Ducks (NHL). Festlerling, who's an assistant captain with Crunch, had no points in one game with the Ducks this season and no points in three games with Syracuse. . . .

G David LeNeveu (Nanaimo, 2000-01) has been assigned Springfield Falcons (AHL) by Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL). He has a 1-1-0 record with the Falcons this season, including a 2.41 GAA and a .906 save percentage. . . .

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cents Line-up vs. Coquitlam:

MERRITT

Vallis-Jones-Reichert
Soquila-Wall-Sabey
Lebrun-Brears-Stack
Playfair-Fletcher-Harper

Crawford-Tresierra
Pfeil-Willcox
Sabourin-Marshall

Chimienti
Andersen

Scratches: Zmurchyk, Steel, Maktaak

All three Cents scratches tonight are still suspended, with Zmurchyk and Steel eligible to return next Friday against Powell River. Maktaak still has three more games of his six game suspension to serve.

COQUITLAM

Georgsen-Carroll-Perry
Petan-Lamacchia-De Jersey
Mckinney-Reid-Ashdown
Grecica-Straight-Deacon

Begert-Mcintosh
Hutchinson-Eng
Bennett-Mazzarolo

Hernandez
Devji

Scratches: Axford, Halikas, Elliott

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chimienti & Kolins Trade Reaction, Cents AP Ben Reinbolt:

THREE WAY TRADE REACTION & ANALYSIS

Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce made his biggest trade since joining the team as he shipped 20-year-old Dustin Johnson to Victoria yesterday for 18-year-old defencemen Brett Kolins and Scott Milnthorp and future considerations.

Merritt then sent Milthorp and the rights to 18-year-old Austin Baecker to the Grand Prairie Storm of the AJHL for 18-year-old goaltender Lino Chimienti. It's the second time Luke has hooked up with his former coach Mike Vandekamp on a trade, as Jared Andersen was acquired by the Cents during the summer from the Storm for Mitch Jones.

Here are Luke's thoughts behind the trade and any other moves which may be coming:

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

As you can hear in the interview, both Chimienti and Kolins are expected to play tomorrow night at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena against Penticton.

From what I've heard about Kolins, Victoria fans aren't happy to see him gone as he seems like a heart and soul type of player.

He's certainly not the type of player who will pile up a bunch of points as his stats indicate, (no points and ten PIM's in 11 games this season and five points and 99 PIM's in 49 games last season) it should be fun to watch him play a physical game in the confines of Memorial Arena.

Check out his BCHL profile here.

As for Chimienti, he ended up in a three goalie situation in Grand Prairie, but had pretty respectable numbers, with a 1-1-0-0 record, a 2.59 GAA and a .916 save percentage.

His AJHL profile is here.

Chimienti played last season with Sioux Falls of the USHL, posting a 8-3-5-0 record, a 3.10 GAA and an .879 save percentage as the back-up goalie.

He was also featured in this article on THN.com last December:

5. Lino Chimienti, G – Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL): He may be slight at 5-foot-10, 161 pounds, but Chimienti knows how to get in front of a puck. The Quebec native is ripping up the USHL with a .923 save percentage and league-leading 1.82 goals-against average. He’s also undefeated in regulation through eight appearances. Draft eligible in 2010.

The entire article is here.

CENTS SIGN REINBOLT AS AN AFFILIATE PLAYER

The Cents have added forward Ben Reinbolt (92) as an affiliate player to their roster.

Reinbolt, who plays for the Princeton Posse of the KIJHL, has eight points in 11 games this season. He had 16 points in 42 games last season.

Cents Make Three Way Trade:

I'll have more on the blog later today, including analysis and reaction from Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce, but I have found out the details of yesterday's trade.

The Centennials sent forward Dustin Johnson (90) to the Victoria Grizzlies for defencemen Brett Kolins (92) and Scott Milnthorp (92) and future considerations. They then sent Milthorp and the rights to defenceman Austin Baecker (92) to Grand Prairie of the AJHL for goaltender Lino Chimienti (91). Baecker is still with the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds and isn't expected to join the Storm.

Again, more later...

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cents Make Trade:

I've received word that the Cents made a trade today, but details are still to be ironed out. I'll post here as soon as I know what's up.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cents-Silverbacks Suspensions:

The BC Hockey League has ruled on Friday's brouhaha between the Cents and Silverbacks. It's posted on the BCHL site, but here's how the suspensions and fines break down:

Merritt
Sean Maktaak - six games
Tyler Steel - three games
Jeff Zmurchyk - three games
Billy Marshall - two games
Jakob Reichert - two games

Luke Pierce - one game
Team fine - $2500 ($1000 for the multiple fight situation and $1500 for Sean Maktaak leaving the bench)

Salmon Arm
Kris Moore - five games
Charlie Vasaturo - four games
Devin Gannon - two games
Jayson Reardon - two games
Josh Manson - two games

Tim Kehler - one game
Team fine - $1000 (for the multiple fight situation)

All players suspended have already sat out one game, which was the return match-up in Merritt on Saturday.

Maktaak is eligible to return on Friday, October 29 on the road against Quesnel while Steel and Zmurchyk can return on Friday, October 22 at home against Powell River. Marshall and Reichert will play this Saturday at home against Coquitlam in their first games back. Luke Pierce will miss this Friday's home game versus Penticton before being back behind the bench on Saturday.

As for the Silverbacks, I've heard that Moore received a broken hand during his fight with Steel and Matt Cassidy (who didn't receive a suspension as a result of the melee) also sat out Saturday's game with a suspected injury.

Regardless of the injury, Moore is eligible to return from suspension on Friday, October 22 at home against Quesnel. Vasaturo will be back Sunday in Victoria after serving his four games. Gannon, Reardon and Manson are out for the first game of the Backs road trip and should return Friday in Cowichan Valley.

I had the chance to chat with Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce today after the suspensions came down.

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

Cents-Silverbacks Suspensions Expected Today:

I talked to BCHL Executive Director Dave Sales this morning and he said that specific suspensions relating to Friday's line brawl between the Cents and Silverbacks should be announced sometime today, if not this morning.

Dave mentioned that each of the player suspensions were listed as indefinite prior to Saturday's game just to get through the weekend and for the league office to have time to review the incident.

I'll have the details of the suspensions posted here as soon as I find out.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cents Line Up Tonight vs. Salmon Arm:

Here's the way the line up shakes down for the Cents tonight in the rematch against Salmon Arm.

Interestingly enough, Steve Tresierra is in the line up, which makes me think that his fight was deemed to not be part of the multiple fight situation.

Jones-Vallis-Stack
Brears-Lebrun-Fletcher (AP)
Harper-Wall-Sabey
Playfair-Schaefer (AP)

Sabourin-Willcox
Crawford-Tresierra
Pfeil-Genovese (AP)

Andersen
Sanderson (AP)

Regan Soquila and Dustin Johnson are still injured while Reichert, Maktaak, Marshall, Zmurchyk and Steel received undetermined suspensions.

Here's the Silverbacks line up as they're shorthanded too.

Knowles-Killip-Mistal
TenVaanholt-Zulinick-Fauchoux
Muller-Gervais-McKissock
Samuel-Holliday (AP)

Atkinson-Monk
Cave-Krabben
Dibella (AP)

Williams
Stanwood

Scratches:
Cassidy
Gannon
Hoe
Manson
Michelle
Moore
Reardon
Vasaturo

Fight Night in Salmon Arm:

For the first time this season with the Centennials, the new junior A supplement is going to have a major impact.

As a result of the line brawl with five seconds left in last night's 4-2 loss in Salmon Arm, there are a number of fines and suspensions set to come down from the BCHL office, and likely in time for tonight's rematch at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

Here is a summary of the penalties:

Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Matt Cassidy for Fighting (5 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Brett Knowles for Fighting (5 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Josh Manson for Fighting (5 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Kris Moore for Fighting (5 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Devin Gannon for Fighting (5 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Charlie Vasaturo for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Tyler Steel for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Sean Maktaak for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Steve Tresierra for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Billy Marshall for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Jakob Reichert for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Jeff Zmurchyk for Fighting (5 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Tyler Steel for Slashing (2 Min.)
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Tyler Steel for Goaltender Leaving Crease (2 Min.)
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Charlie Vasaturo for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Devin Gannon for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Kris Moore for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Kris Moore for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Josh Manson for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Brett Knowles for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Team Penalty for Game Misconduct
Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 19:55 - Matt Cassidy for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Tyler Steel for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Tyler Steel for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Sean Maktaak for Leaving the bench
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Sean Maktaak for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Jakob Reichert for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Billy Marshall for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Steve Tresierra for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Sean Maktaak for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Jeff Zmurchyk for Game Misconduct
Merritt Centennials at 19:55 - Team Penalty for Game Misconduct

Here's where I can see the junior A supplement applied:

Three or More Fights On the Same Stoppage – When three or more fights occur during the same stoppage of play, players involved in the second fight and all subsequent fights shall be subjected to an automatic suspension.

• If an instigator is not identified, the following minimum penalties shall be applied:
o All participating players – 2 game suspension.
o Coaches – 1 game suspension.
o $1,000 fine per team.

To me, this would indicate that Salmon Arm's Kris Moore, Matt Cassidy, Brett Knowles, Josh Manson, Devin Gannon and Charlie Vasaturo and Merritt's Tyler Steel, Sean Maktaak, Steve Tresierra, Billy Marshall, Jakob Reichert and Jeff Zmurchyk will each be suspended for two games.

In addition, both Backs coach Tim Kehler and Cents coach Luke Pierce will be suspended one game (which is tonight in Merritt). Plus, both teams will be fined $1000, which is a big blow to a non-profit society like the Centennials.

Centennials forward Sean Maktaak also received a penalty for leaving the bench, so according to the rule below, he'll be out for an additional six games and Merritt will be fined an additional $1500.

Multiple Fights ‐ Any player that leaves the bench, bench area, dressing room, or penalty box to become engaged in a secondary fight or become a third‐man in a fight shall result in the following minimum penalties:
o 6 game suspension.
o $1,500 team fine.

As for the fight between Cents netminder Tyler Steel and Backs goaltender Kris Moore, it looks like they each will get additional three games because of this rule:

Goaltender Fighting – Fighting by Goaltenders shall result in the following suspensions:
o Should the goaltenders of the two clubs meet between the blue lines and fight, the
goaltenders shall each be issued a game misconduct and be suspended for three games.
o Any extraordinary circumstances surrounding a goaltender’s actions shall be reviewed by the league and disciplined accordingly.

So, to summarize and see if I've got it all straight (and keep in mind these are the minimum under the rulebook, the BCHL could suspend further):

Merritt Centennials suspensions

Sean Maktaak - 8 games
Tyler Steel - 5 games
Steve Tresierra - 2 games