Thursday, November 4, 2010

Former Cents netminder Jon Groenheyde dealt from Kamloops to Edmonton:

(Former Cents netminder Jon Groenheyde)

Jon Groenheyde, who played six games with the Centennials during the 2007-08 season with a 1-4-0-0 record, a 6.46 GAA and a .835 save percentage, was traded in the WHL today. Here's the release from the WHL website:

Edmonton, AB – The Edmonton Oil Kings announced today they have traded 18-year-old goalie Cam Lanigan (Calgary, AB) to the Kamloops Blazers in exchange for 19-year-old goalie Jon Groenheyde (Surrey, B.C.).

Groenheyde has spent his entire WHL career with the Blazers, compiling a 15-25-1-2 record and a 4.08 GAA in 52 games during the 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons. The 6-foot-4, 201-pound netminder is 1-5-0-1 so far in eight appearances in 2010-11, with a 3.67 GAA and a .873 save percentage.

Lanigan has played his entire WHL career with the Oil Kings, appearing in 58 games with a 13-23-2-4 record and a 4.08 GAA combined in 2008-09 and 2009-10. In 15 games so far in 2010-11, he has a 4-8-0-1 record with a 3.73 GAA and a .866 save percentage.

"We would like to thank Cam for his services with the Oil Kings, and we wish him the best of luck in Kamloops," Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green said of the trade. "We would also like to welcome Jon to our organization. He brings a lot of experience with him and we're excited to have him in our lineup."

Groenheyde will join the Oil Kings in Prince George as they open a six-game road trip with games against the Cougars on Friday and Saturday, both at 8 p.m. MST.

The trip continues in Chilliwack against the Bruins on Tuesday and in Kelowna against the Rockets on Wednesday. They venture further south to play the Chiefs in Spokane on Friday, Nov. 12, and the trip concludes on Saturday, Nov. 13 against the Ice in Kootenay. The Oil Kings finally return home to Rexall Place to play the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m.
Kamloops, BC – Kamloops Blazers General Manager Craig Bonner announced this morning that team has sent 19-year-old goaltender Jon Groenheyde to the Edmonton Oil Kings in exchange for 18-year-old goaltender Cam Lanigan.

“We want to thank Jon for his time with the hockey club,” Bonner said. “We wish him the best of luck with the Oil Kings.”

Groenheyde, a free agent list from Surry, BC, appeared in 60 games with the Blazers starting in the 2007-08 season.

Lanigan, who is from Calgary, BC, was originally a 6th round bantam pick to the Oil Kings in 2007. He has played in 74 games with the Oil Kings over the past two and a half seasons.