Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cents Release Sam Gemmell, More On Training Camp With Luke Pierce, Former Centennial Brandon Campos Signs With ECHL's Idaho Steelheads:

(Former Cents Forward Sam Gemmell)

It's like Christmas Eve for hockey fans in the Nicola Valley as the Centennials open training camp tomorrow morning at Memorial Arena. I had the chance to talk to Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce about camp opening tomorrow.

In the interview, Luke reveals that the team has released forward Sam Gemmell (90) after efforts to trade him were unsuccessful.

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

With Gemmell being released, here's what the Cents roster numbers look like heading into training camp, assuming the final roster includes 20 skaters. I'm going to assume the Cents go with 13 forwards, seven defenceman and two goaltenders. Players are ranked in terms of points last season.

Forwards
Dustin Johnson (90)
Jeff Jones (91)
Alexander MacMillan (90)
David Sabey (91)
Stephen Wall (91)
Silvan Harper (92)
Jakob Reichert (93)
*
*
*
*
*
*

The asterisks represent spots that need to be filled and thus, there are six openings (at minimum) up front for the Cents. I would think that none of the returning players should feel safe as any of them could be outplayed by someone coming in and trying to make the team.

Defence
Steve Tresierra (90)
Jeff Zmurchyk (90)
Kam Crawford (91)
*
*
*
*

You'll notice I haven't included Austin Baecker (92) on the list, simply because he's attending Seattle Thunderbirds camp after having his WHL rights acquired by them earlier this spring. T-Birds Prospect Camp starts this Wednesday.

Goal
Jared Andersen (90)
*

I also didn't include Keith Hamilton (92) and Cole Holowenko (93) on the goaltender's list because both are attending WHL camps as well. Hamilton's attending the Portland Winterhawks camp, which starts Wednesday, while Holowenko is off to the Chilliwack Bruins camp, which starts Thursday.

(Former Cents Forward Brandon Campos)

Great to see former Cents forward Brandon Campos land a pro contract with the ECHL's Idaho Steelheads for the 2010-11 season. Here's the releases from the Cents and the Steelheads:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - August 19, 2010

The Merritt Centennials would like to congratulate Brandon Campos after signing with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL for the 2010-11 season.

Campos, who was BCHL Interior Conference Most Sportsmanlike Player in 2001, spent the 2009-10 season with the University of BC Thunderbirds of the CIS, finishing tied for first in team scoring with 21 points in 28 games.

The Port Coquitlam product is a veteran of 105 BCHL games and 136 WHL games over four seasons of junior hockey from 2004-08. Campos racked up 111 points in two seasons with the Centennials between 2004 and 2006.

Berube, Campos bring training camp roster to ten
Thursday, August 19, 2010
(Boise, ID) – After re-signing eight members of last season’s National Conference championship team, Idaho Steelheads head coach and director of hockey operations Hardy Sauter announced Thursday two new faces that have signed with the team.

Defenseman Mike Berube and forward Brandon Campos at one point both played in the Western Hockey League, the same league Sauter coached in the past three seasons before being named head coach of the Steelheads last month.

Campos, 22, has spent the past two seasons playing at the University of British Columbia after spending the previous two seasons with the WHL’s Everett Silvertips and Chilliwack Bruins. His best season came in 2007-2008, when he scored 70 points (25 goals, 45 assists) in 67 games with Chilliwack.

1 comment: