Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tresierra Audio, Alumni Update:

(New Cents captain Steve Tresierra)

The Cents announced defenceman Steve Tresierra as their 2010-11 captain yesterday, I had the chance to talk to coach and GM Luke Pierce about the decision and also had Steve on the morning show today.

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

Cents Captain Steve Tresierra

I don't know how I missed this last month, but I stumbled across the news on the Osoyoos Storm website. Former Cents forward Jeff Taylor (2005-07) is the new assistant coach of the KIJHL expansion franchise.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 11th, 2010

Osoyoos, BC: The expansion Osoyoos Coyotes have hired Jeff Taylor as an Assistant Coach for the upcoming KIJHL season. Taylor joins Head Coach Ken Law on the coaching staff of the new franchise and looks forward to helping to create an exciting and competitive team in the Osoyoos Coyotes’ first year of operation.

Osoyoos Coyotes President, John Kapusty, says the organization is pleased with the way the team building is progressing.

“Our management group is confident that our newest addition, Assistant Coach Jeff Taylor, will become another asset to our organization,” says Kapusty. “He has impressed us right from the onset, is very personable, an excellent communicator and is excited to begin his coaching career in Osoyoos. Jeff knows what it takes to win and we expect him to bring that presence to practice and games to help our club be competitive.”

Head Coach Ken Law adds, “we believe Jeff is up for the challenge of working with a first year team. I look forward to coaching with Jeff. He certainly has the skill sets to perform the role and responsibilities we are giving him.”

The 24-year old Taylor has, until this point, called Dawson Creek, BC home. He is expected to relocate to Osoyoos by mid-August. Taylor played two seasons of Junior “B” Hockey in Osoyoos for the Storm. He was a member of the KIJHL Championship team in 2004/2005 and was recognized as the club’s Most Dedicated Player. The following season, 2005/2006, Taylor was Team Captain, finished second in KIJHL scoring and won the Okanagan Division MVP Award. The Merritt Centennials of the BCHL recruited Taylor to play Junior “A” during the 2006/2007 season. Since ending his competitive playing days, Taylor spends much of his time working out and wakeboarding --- two activities he knows he’ll be able to enjoy in Osoyoos.

Coyotes GM and Director of Hockey Operations, Roy Schultz comments, “What Taylor lacks in coaching experience, he more than makes up for in enthusiasm and playing experience. We’re excited to have him join our club.”

Meanwhile, former Cents forward Ryan Stanimir (2008-09), who played last season with Williams Lake has decided to join Victoria. Stanimir committed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville for the 2010-11 season earlier this year and I'm unsure what changed, but he'll be back in the BCHL for his 20-year-old season.

RYAN STANIMIR SIGNS WITH VICTORIA GRIZZLIES

July 17, 2010 Victoria Grizzlies -

The Victoria Grizzlies are excited to announce the addition of Ryan Stanimir for the 2010 – 2011 season. Ryan led the Williams Lake Timberwolves in scoring last season registering 27 goals and 27 assists with 73 minutes in penalties.

The Timberwolves players were all allowed to move on as free agents when the franchise was suspended early this year.

Coach Victor Gervais commented, “Were excited Ryan chose our program for his last junior season. He’s coming off a big year in our league and we expect him to be able to build off of last season. Ryan has an excellent shot and proved he can score last season. Anytime you can acquire a player with his numbers and not have to give up anything is a big win for our organization.”

3 comments: