Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Movements, Cents Press Round-Up:

Thursday Movements:

D Kyle Hood (Penticton/Cowichan Valley, 2000-04) has signed a one-year contract with Milano Rossoblu (Italy Series A2). Hood, who led all BCHL defencemen in scoring during the 2003-04 season with 66 points, played last year with Arizona Sundogs (CHL), posting 14 goals and 42 assists in 63 games. . . .

F Casey Bartzen (Quesnel, 1998-99) signed a one-year deal with Miskolci Jegesmedve JSE (Hungary MOL Liga). Bartzen, who holds the Millionaires franchise record for points in a season with 109, skated last season with Bisons de Neuilly-sur-Marne (France Ligue Magnus), posting five goals and nine assists in 16 games. . . .

F Jeff Hoggan (Powell River, 1998-99) joins Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg (Germany DEL) for the 2010-11 season. The Hope, BC product split last season between San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Phoenix Coyotes (NHL). Hoggan had no points in four games with the Coyotes, but posted 13 goals and 20 assists in 70 games with the Rampage. . . .

The Merritt Herald has two articles this week on the Cents, including one penned by coach and GM Luke Pierce.

COACH’S COMMENTS

Published: July 27, 2010 6:00 PM

By Luke Pierce, Head Coach
Merritt Centennials Hockey Club

As the weather continues to heat up outside, things are cooling down over here at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena. With the ice now installed for the upcoming hockey year, it gives me not only a much cooler office, but a serious reminder that the 2010-11 BCHL hockey season is fast approaching. There’s just four weeks remaining until the opening of training camp, and things are really starting to take shape.

We have made numerous changes and announcements over the past three months that I hope you as fans have read about and listened to. This week, I would like to discuss our most recent one - the announcement of the return of Steve Tresierra for the coming season, and his appointment as our team captain.

Leadership is perhaps one of the most crucial concepts in any setting that involves a team, or any group of people that are working towards a common task. There is a reason why such emphasis is placed on these positions; they come with grave amounts of responsibility. The entire premise of leadership is to inspire people to do things that they likely wouldn’t do on their own. Not a simple task, regardless of the situation.

Now, being a captain of a hockey team is much less demanding than leading a country, or commanding troops in a battle, but, nonetheless, there are responsibilities here. So, why have we chosen Steve Tresierra to take this on?

Steve is a natural leader. He is confident, hard-working, respectful and extremely determined to succeed. Although it is not a necessary requirement for successful leadership, he is well-liked by his teammates and generally anyone he comes into contact with. But what I believe will make Steve a great leader is something that I don’t think most people look at. He is a personal leader. By that, I mean he leads himself in a very efficient manner, which is something many people struggle with. I’ve seen leaders in the past who are great at inspiring others, but struggle to control themselves.

At the end of the day, if every player in our room can take on personal leadership, there really is no need for an external source of inspiration and direction. Now, I’m not saying that Steve won’t be able to provide inspiration to his teammates, because with his work ethic, it’s hard not to be inspiring. However, I’m hoping that each player will be able to observe the way he conducts himself and emulate that behaviour to become their own personal leaders.

Steve will have success in helping to create personal leaders because he is not a big talker. He leads by example, by conduct. That is what I’m hoping will become contagious. I’m also confident that Steve is here to win, and that he knows he may have to make some unpopular recommendations at times in an effort to ensure the best interests of the group are being met.

The hardest part about being a leader is telling your peers, and usually friends, that they aren’t working hard enough, or that they shouldn’t be staying out late tonight. But I’m confident that Steve knows why he is here, and that sometimes those decisions have to be made to preserve not only his interests, but the interest of our hockey club.

Steve is set to lead our team at a crucial time in the history of the organization, and I don’t think we could have asked for a better person to take on this responsibility. Congratulations Steve!

Cents name their captain
By Ian Webster - Merritt Herald
Published: July 27, 2010 6:00 PM

With less than a month to go until the Merritt Centennials begin their training camp, things are beginning to heat up on the local Junior A hockey front.

Last week, the Cents formally announced that not only would 20-year-old defenseman Steve Tresierra be returning for a third BCHL season with the team, but that he would be the captain for the 2010-11 campaign.

The confirmation of Tresierra’s place on the roster for the coming season, and his wearing of the “C” on his jersey, is huge as he will certainly be counted on to not only anchor a defensive corps that will have as many as four rookies, but a Centennials’ squad that may see up to ten new faces in the line-up come September.

Understandably, Cents’ head coach and GM Luke Pierce is ecstatic about Tresierra’s return.

“We are delighted that not only has Steve decided to return to Merritt for another season, but that he has agreed to take on the responsibility of being our captain,” stated Pierce in a July 20th press release. “He provides the necessary foundation for creating a culture based on character, work ethic and determination. Steve is a tremendous individual who is well-liked and respected in our community, and is an elite player in our league who commands the respect of his opponents.”

Last season was a breakout one for Tresierra. The durable native of Golden, B.C. collected 7 goals and 20 assists for 27 points in 60 games. His hard work and huge minutes earned him not only the Top Defenseman trophy at the Centennials’ year-end awards ceremony but also selection to the BCHL Interior Conference all-star team.

Whether Tresierra would be back with the Centennials for his fifth and final year of BCHL eligibility was uncertain right up until two weeks ago as the talented blueliner received a number of scholarship offers from both sides of the border. In the end, Tresierra decided that it would be in his best interests to play one more year in Junior A and build on his already formidable reputation as not only an excellent hockey player but a truly remarkable individual off the ice.

In other Cents’ news, Merritt fans will not be able to look forward to the return of all-purpose player Derek Hills, as the 1990-born native of Campbell River has decided to take his game south of the line. He has signed to play with the Amarillo Bulls of the United Stated Hockey League.

Hills, a versatile two-way player who could suit up as a defenseman or on the wing, scored 18 goals and added 30 assists for 48 points last season, fourth best on the Centennials team.

Finally, the Merritt Centennials also announced last week that former player Alex Valenti has committed to play hockey this coming season for the College of St. Scholastica, a NCAA Division III school based in Duluth, Minnesota. Valenti is the second Centennial to be recruited by the Saints, who earlier this summer announced the signing of Ryne Bodger.

The two Cents will join a Saints’ men’s hockey program that last season had no fewer than 19 Canadians on its roster, including six graduates of the BCHL.

1 comment: