Friday, July 30, 2010

Sad Day For Cents Fans, Friday Movements:

It's been a sad 24 hours for the entire Centennials organization as word was received yesterday of the passing of one of the most passionate hockey fans in Merritt, Elva Reid.

Here's the release from the Cents website:

Merritt, BC - July 30, 2010

It is with much sadness and regret that the Merritt Centennials announce the passing of long-time supporter and friend Elva Reid at the age of 85. Elva had been a Cents season ticket holder since the 1970's and was a mainstay at most games at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena, with her cowbell in hand.

Regarding Elva's passing, Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce said, "On behalf of our players and staff, I'd like to pass on my condolences to the family of Elva Reid. Elva will be sadly missed around the community and especially at the Arena. She was a tremendous lady, fan, and supporter of our Hockey Club. She embodied everything that we cherish in our fans, and her passion and love for the Centennials was evident on a nightly basis. Personally, I will miss our conversations prior to each game, as it had become somewhat of a ritual for me. As a team, we would like to dedicate the upcoming 2010-11 season to the memory of Elva Reid."

Elva was not only a huge part of the Merritt Centennials, she was a big part of the City of Merritt. She was an active member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 96 in Merritt, in addition to many other community groups and causes over the years.

Elva will be greatly missed by all the players, staff and fans of the Merritt Centennials. Our thoughts are with her family at this time.

I know that the team is planning a moment of silence prior to the home opener on September 17th against Salmon Arm, and there might be more in the planning stages. But good on Luke for dedicating the entire season to Elva's memory, going to Cents games won't be the same without her. If you've got any Elva Reid stories, feel free to share them in the comments below.

Friday Movements:

F Evan Barlow (Salmon Arm, 2003-05) signed a one-year deal with HIFK (Finland SM-Liiga). The Strathmore, Alberta product played most of last season with Idaho Steelheads (ECHL), posting 32 goals and 43 assists. He also skated in eight Abbotsford Heat (AHL) games, notching a goal and three assists. . . .

1 comment: