Monday, July 26, 2010

Cents Roster, Sunday Movements:

With defenceman Derek Hills and forward Daniel Chang off to the NAHL and the trading of forward Colton Sobchak, defencemen Mitch Jones and Matt Mazzarolo, plus the recruitment of Jakob Reichert and acquisition of goaltender Jared Andersen, I thought I'd take a look at what the Cents roster looks like less than a month before training camp.

Thus far the forward ranks shake down like this:

F Dustin Johnson (90)
F Alexander MacMillan (90)
F Sam Gemmell (90)
F Jeff Jones (91)
F David Sabey (91)
F Stephen Wall (91)
F Silvan Harper (92)
F Jakob Reichert (93)
*
*
*
*
*

The (*) indicate a spot in the lineup that needs to be filled. Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce went with 13 forwards last season, including Derek Hills, so in addition to Jakob Reichert, there'll be at least five new forwards in Merritt this season.

As for the blueline:

D Steve Tresierra (90)
D Jeff Zmurchyk (90)
D Kam Crawford (91)
D Austin Baecker (92)
*
*
*

Luke went with seven defenceman last season, so that means there's at least three spots up for grabs on the Cents defence corps. Austin Baecker's WHL rights were acquired by Seattle earlier in the off-season, so it's unknown whether he'll be with the Thunderbirds or back in Merritt this season. I would think Seattle wants Baecker to at least come to its camp after trading for him.

And between the pipes:

Jared Andersen (90)
Keith Hamilton (92)
Cole Holowenko (93)
*

The reason why I put an (*) with the goaltenders is because it's unlikely that Keith Hamilton and Cole Holowenko will be in Merritt this season. Both saw time in the WHL last season and Luke Pierce has mentioned that he doesn't expect Keith to join the Centennials for a couple of months if at all while Holowenko could stick in Chilliwack this season. Jared Andersen was acquired in the Mitch Jones trade with Grande Prairie, but he's unproven as a number one netminder at the junior 'A' level, so I think there is a possibility that the Cents could wind up with two new faces in goal this season (not including Andersen).

Realistically, there could be a minimum of nine new players (not including Reichert and Andersen) in the Cents lineup this season, which should make training camp very interesting starting August 23rd!

Monday movements. . . .

F Dean Strong (Vernon, 2004-05) signed a one-year contract with Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg (German DEL). Strong had two goals and three assists in 16 games with Worcester (AHL) last season. He also had 16 goals and 21 assists in 34 games with Kalamazoo (ECHL). . . .