Monday, July 12, 2010

Cents Acquire Goaltender Jared Andersen from Grande Prairie, Cents tryout Sean Maktaak Traded in the KIJHL:

(New Cents goaltender Jared Andersen)

The Cents have shored up their goaltending for the 2010-11 season with the acquisition of Jared Andersen (90) and future considerations from the Grande Prairie Storm of the AJHL. Heading to Alberta is defenceman Mitch Jones (91), who was actually sent home by the Cents late last season for personal reasons.

Here's the release:

Merritt, BC - July 12, 2010

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the acquisition of goaltender Jared Andersen (90) and future considerations from the Grande Prairie Storm of the Alberta Junior Hockey League in exchange for defenceman Mitch Jones (91).

Andersen, who's from Fort St. John, BC, is entering his third season of junior 'A' hockey. He appeared in 13 games last season split between Grande Prairie and the Canmore Eagles, finishing with a 5-6-1 record, a 3.53 goals-against-average and a .887 save percentage. The 6'0" 175 lb. goaltender has a career record of 15-27-3 with a 4.43 goals-against-average and a .864 save percentage in 48 career appearances.

Prior to joining Canmore, Andersen played with the renowned Shattuck St. Mary's Prep School, compiling a record of 17-7-3 with a 2.32 goals-against-average and a .910 save percentage in leading the team to the 2008 Under-18 U.S. National Championship.

"The acquisition of Jared gives us another proven goaltender heading into training camp next month," said Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce. “With two years under his belt at the junior 'A' level, we feel this trade gives us the type of depth in goal we feel we need to build towards becoming a strong team this season."

For further information, please contact the Cents office at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

I'll have an interview with Luke regarding the trade later today.

Also, forward Sean Maktaak (92), who was one of the Cents last cuts out of training camp last season had his KIJHL rights traded yesterday. Here's the release from the Fernie Ghostriders website:

The Fernie Ghostriders would like to announce the acquisition of Sean Maktaak.

Coach Will Verner " We are very excited to get Sean's Jr. 'B' rights from the Creston Valley Thundercats. Sean Maktaak closes the deal made with Creston on December 1, 2009. Sean will take a run at playing in the BCHL for Merritt Centenials and we wish him the best of luck during his tryout. We have been watching Sean from the first time he played against your Riders in September 2008. Our coaching and scouting staff could not believe how hard Sean competed during the exhibition season. We felt Creston had a gem of a 16 year old and we have tried to acquire Sean since the end of his 16 year old season.

It'll be interesting to see how Sean does at camp next month in his efforts to make the jump to junior 'A'.