Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pierce's Thoughts on Sobchak Trade, Lucas Daoust Commits to TRU, Cents Governor Brian Barrett Previews BCHL AGM:

On the heels of today's trade between the Cents and Alberni Valley which saw 1990-born forward Colton Sobchak join the Bulldogs, I had the chance to talk to Centennials coach and GM Luke Pierce about the deal.

I haven't received word on what the Cents received in return for Sobchak, but if I were to wager a guess, I'd say it's cash coming Merritt's way. The main reason is because of Sobchak's age and the Cents overabundance of 20 year olds.

Here's what Luke had to say about the deal:

Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce

(Cents graduating forward Lucas Daoust)

A third member of last season's Centennials squad has committed to post-secondary education for 2010-11 after today's announcement that 21 year old forward Lucas Daoust will attend Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops and play hockey for the TRU WolfPack Men's Hockey team.

Here's the official release from the Cents today:

Merritt, BC – June 2, 2010

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce the commitment of 21 year old forward Lucas Daoust to Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, BC for September 2010 where he will play hockey for the BCIHL’s WolfPack.

"I'm excited that Lucas will get the opportunity to continue his hockey career and play in front of family and friends while pursuing a quality education,” said Cents coach/GM Luke Pierce. “Lucas was a pleasure to work with, and TRU is extremely fortunate to have a player of his character. Lucas has known his career ambition for some time and I'm very happy that this will give him the opportunity to pursue that. We wish him all the best, and thank him for his contributions here in Merritt."

“Lucas brings a strong, day-in-day-out work ethic to our program,” said TRU coach Lorne Cumming. “Our WolfPack culture is to push each other from within and Lucas brings that to our group. He can fill any role he is asked to fill and we look forward to having that added to our forward group.”

“I’m really excited,” said Daoust. “The opportunity to go to school and play hockey at home for the first time in four years is very exciting.”

-30-

For further information, please contact Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

The BCHL's AGM gets underway tomorrow in Vancouver with all the usual topics being discussed, but one very interesting discussion will be the "standards" document that Cents Director of Hockey Operations/Governor Brian Barrett talks about. Brian was open to giving me a bit of a preview for the AGM, so here you go!

Cents Governor and Director of Hockey Operations Brian Barrett

The AGM wraps up Saturday with the completion of the 2010-11 BCHL schedule. Brian indicated to me that the interlocking portion of the schedule has already been completed by the league and on Saturday morning the governors and coaches will hash out the Conference portions of the schedule.

The Centennials have put forth a motion for a balanced schedule in the Interior Conference, meaning that all teams will play each other the same number of times. This will likely be easier with just nine teams now in the Conference following the suspension of Williams Lake.