Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Maury Grant Not Back as Assistant Coach, Strategic Plan Presentation Tonight, Jordan Soquila Wins RBC/Hockey Canada Scholarship:

I had Centennials head coach and GM Luke Pierce on the morning show yesterday to address his assistant coach situation and talk about the team's Strategic Plan Presentation tonight.

Luke confirmed in the interview what I think a lot of people suspected, that Maury Grant wouldn't be back with the Cents in the capacity he was last season. Maury joined Luke as an assistant coach when Dylan and Tyler Forsythe parted ways with the team back in November, but due to work commitments wasn't able to join the Cents during the week for practice. He also commuted from Vernon on game days and for road trips. Luke mentions that it wouldn't be fair to ask Maury to do that again this season, but he will remain with the organization in some capacity, I would assume a scouting role in the Okanagan although that hasn't been worked out just yet.

We should know who the Cents new assistant coach is in the next week or so though.

As for the Strategic Plan Presentation tonight, I really hope that there's a big crowd and I will be there so look for a report here tomorrow if you're unable to make it.

Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce

(Cents graduating captain Jordan Soquila)

Last year's Cents captain Jordan Soquila has received another accolade as he is set to start his post-junior hockey career. Here's the release from the Cents:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Burnaby, BC – June 8, 2010

Merritt Centennials forward Jordan Soquila has been awarded an RBC/Hockey Canada scholarship following his final British Columbia Hockey League season.

Soquila is one of two national winners of the Nickerson Award, which is presented as a $500 scholarship to the top student-athletes who are pursuing a university hockey career in Canada.

The Centennials captain had previously been announced as the BCHL's RBC Junior ‘A’ scholarship winner, picking up a $1000 award towards his studies at Queens University in Kingston, Ontario.

-30-

For further information, please contact Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

1 comment: