Monday, June 14, 2010

DeLeeuw Hiring Official, Nicola Valley Minor Lacrosse:

I received this media release from the Cents this morning making the Chad DeLeeuw hiring as assistant coach official.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – June 14, 2010

The Merritt Centennials of the BC Hockey League are pleased to announce the hiring of Chad DeLeeuw as Assistant Coach for the 2010-11 season.

“We’re very happy Chad has agreed to join us here in Merritt,” said Head Coach/GM Luke Pierce. “I am confident that his knowledge and experience as a dominant defenceman in this league will transfer into his coaching ability. Chad brings added enthusiasm to the staff and he relates very well to players. His tremendous leadership abilities are sure to be an asset to our entire organization.”

DeLeeuw played five seasons in the BCHL from 1995-2000. In the 1995-96 season, he was named Nanaimo Clippers most improved player and was also runner-up as Interior Conference Defenceman of the Year award in the 1999-00 season while with Penticton. He has coaching experience at the minor hockey league level in addition to serving as an assistant with Summerland of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League.

“I'm extremely excited about joining the Centennials organization,” said DeLeeuw. “I'm looking forward to working with Luke, the Board of Directors and all the volunteers that put countless hours into the team. I want to help these young hockey players become strong, confident men who succeed on and off the ice.”

For further information, please contact Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

It was pretty successful weekend for Nicola Valley Minor Lacrosse teams. Association PR director Shauna Clinging sent me this email this morning:

Century 21 Nicola Valley Peewee posted their first & second wins of the season over the weekend. Saturday the Nicola Valley team triumphed over Kamloops 2 by a margin of 7-4. Sunday they beat out the Shuswap Outlaws 4-3.

The Merritt Mountain Towing Midgets were in Surrey for the Craig Baily Memorial tournament. Friday evening they picked up a 9-1 win over Mission. Saturday morning they tied North Delta 4-4. Saturday evening they picked up a win over Ridge Meadows 10-3. Their results put them into the gold medal match against Alberni Valley where they fell to the island team 7-4.

The Contain-It Storage Bantams played a tough game against Shuswap Outlaws Sunday with the local team losin 6-4. Kristian Stead picked up a hat-trick and Brody Tod a single.