Friday, June 18, 2010

Cents Roster, Training Camp Details Released:

With the trade of Matt Mazzarolo earlier this week, the Cents are now down to the maximum number of 20-year-olds allowed in the BCHL. That's not to say that all of the 1990-born players on the roster right now will be with the team come September as coach/GM Luke Pierce indicated at the team's Strategic Plan Presentation that they'll be looking to have a younger lineup this season.

Luke mentioned that he and director of hockey operations Brian Barrett have an idea in mind how they want their roster break-down to be in terms of age. I would expect there to be a significant number of 1991-93-born players with the Centennials this year with the two available 1994-born spots used and a sprinkling of 1990-born players to provide veteran leadership.

Here's what's happened with the Cents roster since the season ended in February:

Additions: Jakob Reichert (93) from Revelstoke (KIJHL)

Subtractions: Colton Sobchak (90) to Alberni Valley (BCHL)
Matt Mazzarolo (90) to Surrey (BCHL)
Daniel Chang (91) to New Mexico (NAHL)

So the roster as of now looks like this:

Forwards

Dustin Johnson (90)
Alexander MacMillan (90)
Derek Hills (90) (I know he's listed on the roster as a defenceman, but he played up front most of the season)
Sam Gemmell (90)
Jeff Jones (91)
David Sabey (91)
Steve Wall (91)
Silvan Harper (92)

Defence

Steve Tresierra (90)
Jeff Zmurchyk (90)
Mitch Jones (91) (I expect Mitch to be traded after he left the team late last season)
Kameran Crawford (91)
Austin Baecker (92) (His WHL rights were acquired by Seattle earlier this year, I'd expect him to go to their camp)

Goal

Keith Hamilton (92) (WHL rights belong to Portland and he's already played a full season there in 2008-09, I would expect him to be at their camp)
Cole Holowenko (93) (WHL rights belong to Chilliwack, he was called up by them twice last season, he'll likely have a shot at their camp)

Meanwhile, the Cents have released the details for Training Camp this season. Here's the official release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – June 16, 2010

The Merritt Centennials announced today the details for their 2010-11 Main Training Camp. Registration is at 9 a.m. on Monday August 23, 2010 at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

“We strive to give all players a vision and an outcome, to advance them to the next level and maximize their potential as a player and as a person,” said Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce. “We are looking for players who have a superior work ethic, attitude, strong skating ability and most importantly, demonstrate a will to compete every time they’re on the ice.”

“We have high expectations for the upcoming season and recommend any prospective players train hard to allow themselves the opportunity to show our entire organization their best,” continued Pierce.

Camp is being conducted on an invite-only basis and any interested players are encouraged to contact the Centennials office directly.

All attendees are expected to bring their own hockey gear to the rink for registration and also appropriate warm up gear and runners as there is a fitness test portion of camp.

All attendees are responsible for their own meals and accommodations.

For a list of suggested accommodations and restaurants in the Nicola Valley, please visit our website at www.merrittcentennials.com

-30-

For further information, please contact Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

1 comment:

    ReplyDelete