Friday, June 11, 2010

Cents Hire Chad DeLeeuw as Assistant Coach, Strategic Plan Recap, BC High School Rodeo Finals, Mountain Trials Rally, Lacrosse:

OK, here we go with what might be the largest post I've ever made in the blogosphere.

I know some people have had issues with audio playing lately. I'm trying to find a better audio player/sort out why it works for some people and not for others, but I'm not a huge techie when it comes to websites and HTML code, etc. so bear with me while I try to figure it out. I think it may have something to do with your browser (so if you're using Internet Explorer, maybe try Mozilla Firefox and vice-versa) or you may need to download a specific plug-in for the interviews to work. If you're unsure, see if maybe you can right-click on the media player and see if there is a plug-in you need. In the meantime, I'll try to figure out why things are shaking down the way they are.

Firstly, although there's been no media release issued just yet, the Centennials have hired Chad DeLeeuw to replace Maury Grant as an assistant coach this season. Chad played five seasons in the BCHL from 1995-2000 and fans in Nanaimo will remember him as the Clippers most improved player in 1995-96 while fans in Penticton will remember him as a dominant blueliner who was the runner-up as top defenceman with the Panthers during the 1999-00 season. He also serves as Penticton captain that season.

I had the chance to talk to Cents coach/GM Luke Pierce about Chad's hiring yesterday morning.

Cents Head Coach/GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

I also talked to Chad after he was introduced at the team's strategic plan presentation on Wednesday.

Cents Assistant Coach/Okanagan Scout Chad DeLeeuw

Click here to download

Speaking of the strategic plan presentation, there were about 60 people on hand for it. The tough thing was that the meeting was up against what wound up being the final game of the Stanley Cup Final, which likely hurt attendance. All around though, it was great to see the enthusiasm of not only the fans, billets and volunteers who made it to the meeting, but also the Cents Board of Directors and coaching staff.

I talked to Cents President and Chairman of the Board immediately after the meeting.

Cents President/Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel

I know this isn't hockey-related, but it's huge for the Nicola Valley. The BC High School Rodeo Finals are in Merritt this weekend. I had BCHSRA President Sandy Chevalier on the morning show yesterday to explain more about it.

BC High School Rodeo Association President Sandy Chevalier

I have to give a big shout-out to the seven Merritt kids taking part in the Rodeo, Clint Maier, Amy Pozzobon, Joe Roberson, Maddison Stoltzfus, Jorry Holmes, Morgan Fosbery and Riley Kynoch.

For more info on the BC High School Rodeo Association, check out their website here.

The crazy-busy weekend of events here in Merritt continues with the West Coast Rally Association's Mountain Trials Rally. It's round three of the Western Canadian Rally Championship and if you've never seen rally racing before I definitely urge you to check it out.

Of course, I had Paul Westwick, the organizer of this weekend's rally on the morning show today.

Mountain Trials Rally organizer Paul Westwick

For more info on the WCRA and the Mountain Trials Rally, check out their website here.

And last but not least, Shauna Clinging, who is the PR Director for the Nicola Valley Minor Lacrosse Association, sent me this email this morning, mapping out all the games they are having in Merritt this weekend and a great result for hometown fans last night.

Contain It Storage Bantam Thunder beat Kamloops II by a margin of 11-1 at Shulus Arena last night.

Lots of home game action this weekend Saturday at Shulus and Sunday at NV Memorial.

Saturday 12-Jun

12:00pm-1:30pm
Peewee vs. Kam2
Shulus Arena

1:30pm-3:00pm
Novice vs. Kam1
Shulus Arena

Sunday 13-Jun

10:30am-12:00pm
Bantam vs. Shuswap
NV Memorial Arena

12:00pm-1:30pm
Peewee vs. Shuswap2
NV Memorial Arena

1:30pm-3:00pm
Novice vs. Shuswap
NV Memorial Arena

Stay tuned to the blog later tonight or tomorrow I should have a break down of the Cents 2010-11 schedule, which was posted earlier. Here's the release from the Cents website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – June 11, 2010

The B-C Hockey League has unveiled its complete schedule for the upcoming 2010-11 campaign, with the Merritt Centennials set to kick off their 60-game regular season schedule in Trail on Friday, September 10th versus the Smoke Eaters.

Merritt has 19 coveted Friday/Saturday home games this season. Friday and Saturday start times remain at 7:30 pm, while all Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday games start at 7 pm. Sunday games will begin at 2 pm. All games are at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

For a complete look at the schedule, click the "Game Centre" tab at the top of the page.

Once again this season, all 60 regular season Centennials games can be heard live on Q101 in Merritt and on the BCHL Fan Zone.

-30-

For further information, please contact Cents head coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

1 comment: