Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cents Announce AGM, Former Cents Coach Enio Sacilotto Joins WHL's Chilliwack Bruins:

The Cents have announced the details for their AGM on Thursday. Here's the official release from the team:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – June 22, 2010

The Merritt Centennials Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club Society would like to invite all residents of the Nicola Valley to its Annual General Meeting on Thursday June 24, 2010 at 7 p.m. in the Mezzanine at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

The evening will consist of reports on team finances for the 2009-10 fiscal year, marketing, season tickets, billeting, booster club, hockey operations and the election of the 2010-11 Board of Directors. Nominations for the Board of Directors will be permitted from the floor during the meeting.

“This is a good opportunity for residents to see how our meetings are run,” said Cents President and Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel. “They can see our year-end financial report and the whole program.”

“As a community-owned franchise, we want to be as transparent as we can and that’s why we invite anyone to come to our AGM and offer their thoughts or concerns,” continued Canuel. “This is Merritt’s team, our community’s team, and that’s what we want it to be all about.”

-30-

For further information, please contact President and Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel at 250-378-9266 or jerrycanuel@apgroup.ca

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 37 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

Meanwhile, former Cents coach Enio Sacilotto is back coaching in North America with the Chilliwack Bruins. Here's the release from the Bruins:

Bruins Add to Coaching Staff

Monday, June 21, 2010

Chilliwack Bruins General Manager and Head Coach Marc Habscheid announced today that the Bruins have hired Enio Sacilotto as Assistant Coach.

“We’re extremely pleased to have Enio join our organization,”said Habscheid. “He’ll be a good addition to our coaching staff. He brings a lot of coaching and teaching experience to our club.”

Sacilotto, who specializes in video analysis, practice planning, drill design and practice execution, has spent the last several years coaching in Europe including stints in Denmark, Norway and Switzerland.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to join the Bruins team and work with Marc. Our paths crossed briefly at Hockey Canada a few years back and it’s going to be good to work with him on a full time basis.”

You have to wonder if Sacilotto will wind up coaching last year's Cents back-up Cole Holowenko as the 17-year-old likely has a good chance of cracking the Bruins lineup for the 2010-11 season. By the way, Sacilotto was one of three coaches (along with Chuck Tapp and Roddy Rodgers) behind the Merritt bench during the dismal 1983-84 season. The year was the Centennials worst in franchise history, with a record of 8-51-1. The team's goals-against was 543 or an average of 9 (!) per game, which still stands as a BCHL record.