Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cents AGM News, Former Cents Coach/GM Joey Bouchard Returns to Whitecourt, Former Cents Defenceman Ryan Moir Commits to Mount Royal University:

The Cents AGM was this past Wednesday at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena and although there weren't a ton of people in attendance, there was a lot covered.

Among the items was the fact that for the fiscal year of 2009-10, the Centennials Society did NOT lose money. As a former Board Member and past-President, I am so happy to see things turned around for the team financially due to some investors putting money into the operation, plus the ton of fundraising by the Cents Booster Club and regular revenue streams generated by the team. Two playoff home dates helped big time in bringing in some much needed revenue. I've got a feeling this season will produce even more.

The other main item addressed at the AGM was the election of the team's 2010-11 Board of Directors. Here's the official release issued by the Cents on Thursday:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC – June 25, 2010

The Merritt Centennials Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club Society announced today the 2010-11 Board of Directors as elected at its Annual General Meeting on Wednesday June 25, 2010.

The Executive for the upcoming season includes President/Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel, Vice-President Tom Reynolds, Treasurer Beth Nadeau and Secretary Cathy Frizzell after all allowed their names to stand for a second term.

Also returning to the Board for a second term is Team Governor Brian Barrett and Booster Club President Betty Doberstein, plus Directors At Large Tod Dean and Frank Etchart.

New Directors include Andrea Barnes, Nik Vischschraper and Paul Barnes.

“We’ve got some stability on the Board with all but one Director returning and we’re excited about that,” said Canuel. “We’ve got good community people who have been involved with the Cents and junior hockey in the past and each Director brings a huge amount of enthusiasm to the group. I look forward to working with each of them in the next year to continue to build on our program here.”

-30-

For further information, please contact President and Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel at 250-378-9266 or jerrycanuel@apgroup.ca

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 38 years as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

Immediately following the meeting, I had the chance to speak with Cents President and Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel.

Cents President/Chairman of the Board Jerry Canuel

Click here to download

Joey Bouchard, who was hired by the Cents last summer as coach and GM before resigning in August, has resurfaced with the team he coached last, the junior B Whitecourt Wolverines, as their GM. Here's the release from the Wolverines website:

2 TIME N.W.J.H.L CHAMPION WOLVERINES RE ORGANIZE WITH EYE ON PROVINCIAL / NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

In a move demonstrating the commitment to excellence that has become the hallmark of the Whitecourt Wolverines, Team Owner & President Brent Stark announced today the following steps designed to bring both the Provincial and National Junior B Hockey Championships to Whitecourt.
Joey Bouchard who previously lead the Wolverines from the bench in their first 2 seasons which saw the team advance to Game 7 of the finals in year 1 and win the NWJHL Championship in Year 2 and who is largely credited with being the architect of the teams core group of players has returned to the organization as Vice President & General Manager.
With a resume that not only included the history of his association with the Wolverines but with Junior A clubs in Alberta coupled with a strong scouting and recruitment background, the aim of Bouchard’s appointment is to maintain the dominating nature of the club on the ice as well as its reputation as a positive force within the community it calls home.
Brent Stark in discussing the appointment with the clubs management group stated that; “Joey has been a vital part of building this club and we are fortunate to once again have Joey in the fold working with our franchise but also assisting us in developing our “life, school, hockey” program which will see our retiring players hopefully move on into college programs utilizing Joey’s significant contacts in that area.”
Stark also stated that the expectations of the team are high from a fan perspective and that the community deserved a provincial / national championship. It is with that fact in mind Stark went on to say the he felt Bouchard would be a natural fit for the position.
On top of his obvious hockey background, Bouchard also brings with him a degree in Education, a fact specifically pointed to by Stark. “ I have always stated that this team was to represent what youth can do with their lives if given the opportunities. Education plays a huge role in that regard. This is why the Wolverines have always been strong supporters of not only the Percy Baxter Hockey Academy, but of Minor Hockey in general. Joey’s appointment brings us back to that goal.”

(Former Cents defenceman Ryan Moir)

Former Cents defenceman Ryan Moir, who played 81 games between 2007 and 2009 in Merritt, has committed to Mount Royal University of the ACAC. Here's the release from the AJHL website:

Canucks Press Release: Moir to Attend MRC
June 21, 2010

Ryan Moir to Attend MRC

June 21st, 2010 – The Calgary Canucks take great pride in announcing that graduating defenseman Ryan Moir has committed to attend Mount Royal University starting with this coming semester.

During his time with our team Ryan was one of the top defensemen and as a testament to that he was chosen as the top defenseman for the Canucks at the recent Annual Awards Banquet. He was also selected to play for the 2010 AJHL South Division All-Star team.

The coaching staff and the entire Board of Directors congratulate Ryan and his family and wish him every success in his future scholastic and hockey endeavours.

1 comment:

  1. At Stone Solutions we offer you the perfect solution to updating tired, worn or outdated work surfaces with a minimum of fuss and cost.

    Kitchen Renovations

    ReplyDelete