Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pierce Signing Official, Interview Audio:

(Cents Head Coach/GM Luke Pierce)

The Cents have made the signing of Luke Pierce as coach and GM official with the following media release:

Merritt, BC - May 26, 2010

The Merritt Centennials Board of Directors is pleased to announce that Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce has agreed to terms of a three year contract extension through the 2012-13 season.

"This signing is a significant step in achieving our goal of becoming a strong contender in the BCHL," said Cents President Jerry Canuel. "This provides our organization with the stability and long-term focus necessary for success."

"Luke is young, articulate, and understands what it takes to win in our small community of Merritt," continued Canuel. "Luke is well respected in our community and despite his relatively short time in the BCHL, he is also very well respected by other teams and coaches."

"Luke has a passion for the game and he embraces the 'team' attitude and philosophy," expressed Canuel. "Under his guise, we are very encouraged and optimistic about our club's development and growth in Merritt."

"The Centennials Board of Directors felt that with the team's improvement in the latter part of last season along with the enthusiasm and passion Luke has for hockey and our community, it was essential for him to be involved in the future and overall direction of our organization." said Cents Governor and Director of Hockey Operations Brian Barrett.

"I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to continue my young coaching career here in Merritt," said Pierce. "The Centennials and this community have a very special meaning to me not only as a hockey coach, but also as a proud resident of the Nicola Valley."

"My goal for the next three years is to create a culture here with our players that our fans can directly relate to," continues Pierce. "Along with the Board of Directors, my aim is to establish the Centennials as the pride of this city and in time, I believe we will accomplish that."

I had the chance to chat with Luke yesterday after the signing was made official.

Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce