Monday, May 24, 2010

Former Cents Coach Kevin MacKay Hired in Salmon Arm:

Kevin MacKay, who coached the Cents briefly during the 2001-02 season, has been hired by the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. MacKay was hired by the Centennials after Mike Vandekamp jumped ship to the Vernon Vipers in 2001. He was then replaced by Al Glendinning midway through the 2001-02 season. Here's the release from the Silverbacks on MacKay's hiring:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks Junior “A” Hockey Club is pleased to announce that Kevin MacKay will join the hockey operations staff for the upcoming 2010 - 2011season.

Kevin will assume the title of Associate Head Coach/Assistant General Manager. MacKay has spent the last several years coaching in the KIJHL, most recently as the Head Coach/GM of the Kimberley Dynamiters.

Prior to that, Kevin spent time with Hockey Canada as well as being a Head Coach/GM at the Junior “A” level in British Columbia and Alberta.

“To add someone to our staff with Kevin’s credentials is outstanding for the organization and our players. I have known him personally for over 15 years. He knows the league and is a first-class person and coach” commented GM/ Head Coach Rylan Ferster.

For further comments please contact the SilverBacks hockey operations office at 250-832-3856 ext 106.