Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bill Birks Hired in Trail, Luke Pierce on Bodger's Commitment, Brad Bourke Commits to Augustana, MSS Senior Girls Rugby:

(Former Cents player and assistant coach Bill Birks)

Late last week, the Trail Smoke Eaters announced the hiring of former Cents player and assistant coach Bill Birks. With the Smokies, Birks will hold the same position of assistant coach that he did for two seasons (2007-09) under Al Glendinning here in Merritt. Shawn Mullin has an interview with Trail coach and GM Jim Ingram (himself a former Cents player) regarding the hiring on his blog.

I had the chance to chat with Bill yesterday morning about the hiring and his move from Merritt to the West Kootenays.

Smokies Assistant Coach Bill Birks

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.

I certainly wish Bill all the best in Trail, except when they're playing the Cents of course!

I also caught up with Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce regarding the commitment of Ryne Bodger to the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, Minnesota.

Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.

Luke also mentioned to me off the air that there should be some news early next week about one of the Cents other graduating players committing to post-secondary, so stay tuned to Q101 and the blog for more info.

(Former Cents defenceman Brad Bourke)

I was pleased to see that former Cents defenceman Brad Bourke has committed to the University of Alberta at Augustana for the 2010-11 season. Brad was traded to Prince George early last season for Andrew Pickering. The Spruce Kings have the official release here.

Brad mentioned to me last season that education was one of the most important things to him and that he wanted to use his hockey skills to take him as far as he could. At Augustana, he'll be a teammate of one of the most popular Cents players in the last while in Steve Cavanagh. Good luck Brad!

(MSS Senior Girls Rugby Team in action)

I got a phone call this morning from MSS Senior Girls Rugby coach Sue Kabotoff after the Panthers finished their league play this season yesterday. In crossover and league play, the girls went undefeated, way to go and kick butt at the Provincials!

MSS Senior Girls Rugby Team Coach Sue Kabotoff

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.