Sunday, April 18, 2010

Congrats To Former Cents Troy Mick & Bob Dever:

I've got two HUGE congrats to throw out this Sunday afternoon. Firstly, congrats to Troy Mick, coach and GM of the Revelstoke Grizzlies of the KIJHL. The Grizzlies posted a 5-3 win over the Tri Town Thunder at the Keystone Cup Western Canadian Junior B Championship to win the gold medal.

In addition to Mick, who played part of his junior hockey career in Merritt in the mid-1980's, the Grizzlies roster features five players who were listed as AP's with the Centennials this past season (Lucas Blinkhorn, Caleb Roy, Brad Friedrich, Luke Richardson and Cole Buckley). Roy led the entire tournament in scoring as the 20 year old posted an astounding 13 assists in 6 games. Richardson, who attended Cents rookie camp last season, finished fourth overall in tournament scoring with 8 points in 5 games. Included in those totals is a hat trick and an assist in the gold medal match.

Other former Centennials also had an impact at the Keystone Cup as Alessio Tomassetti of the Kamloops Storm finished one point behind Roy with 12 points in 6 games. Gary Rai, who along with Tomassetti was in Merritt for the start of training camp last August, wound up ninth in scoring with 7 points in 6 games. As a 20 year old, Tomassetti's junior career is over, but as a 1990-born player, Rai is eligible to play one more season so it'll be interesting to see if he cracks a junior A lineup for 2010-11 or if he'll stay with Kamloops.

Secondly, I want to throw a huge congrats to former Cents assistant coach and player Bob Dever, who coached Team Hungary to a silver medal at the IIHF World Under-18 Championship Division I Group B.

Hungary won the silver with a 2-1 victory over Kazakhstan combined with Germany's 10-0 win over Poland. It's the highest finish for Hungary at this level in 17 years.

1 comment: