Friday, February 19, 2010

Interior Conference Playoff Picture, Q101 Radio Night, Murray GM Shoot to Win, Mitch Jones Leaves Cents:

Well, the final weekend of the BCHL's regular season is upon us and the Cents are only involved in one game on the schedule, tomorrow night at home against Trail. Merritt is tied with the Smoke Eaters and Quesnel at 46 points following the Centennials 6-4 win over Salmon Arm on Wednesday. Fifth place in the Interior Conference is definitely within the Cents reach, but they'll need some help from other teams. They hold the tie-break over both the Mills and Smokies but need to get to that point first.

Regardless of whether Trail beats Surrey tonight, the Cents have to beat the Smoke Eaters themselves tomorrow night if they want to climb into fifth place. A Merritt win combined with two Trail losses in the last three games would give the Cents the edge over the Smoke Eaters. The Cents also need to combine a win over Trail with a single loss in regulation by Quesnel against Burnaby or Williams Lake to claim fifth. Any combination of the Millionaires or Smoke Eaters receiving three points or more and it won't matter if the Cents beat Trail, they won't catch fifth place.

Clear as mud right!?

5. Quesnel Millionaires: 20-32-0-6 (.397 - 46 points)

Games remaining:

Friday, Feb. 19 vs. Burnaby

Saturday, Feb. 20 @ Williams Lake

Home record: 11-16-0-2 (.414)
Games remaining at home: 1

Away record: 9-16-0-4 (.379)
Games remaining away: 1

Record vs. Interior Top 4: 1-13-0-2 (.125)
Games remaining vs. Interior Top 4: 0

Record vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots (Merritt, Trail, Prince George): 8-8-0-2 (.500)
Games remaining vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots: 0

Record vs. Williams Lake: 7-1-0-0 (.875)
Games remaining vs. Williams Lake: 1

Record vs. Coastal Conference: 3-10-0-2 (.267)
Games remaining vs. Coastal Conference: 1

6. Trail Smoke Eaters: 19-30-1-7 (.404 - 46 points)

Games remaining:

Friday, Feb. 19 vs. Surrey

Saturday, Feb. 20 @ Merritt

Sunday, Feb. 21 @ Penticton

Home record: 13-11-0-5 (.534)
Games remaining at home: 1

Away record: 6-19-1-2 (.268)
Games remaining away: 2

Record vs. Interior Top 4: 5-14-1-4 (.395)
Games remaining vs. Interior Top 4: 1

Record vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots (Merritt, Quesnel, Prince George): 6-6-0-2 (.500)
Games remaining vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots: 1

Record vs. Williams Lake: 3-1-0-0 (.750)
Games remaining vs. Williams Lake: 0

Record vs. Coastal Conference: 5-9-0-1 (.367)
Games remaining vs. Coastal Conference: 1

7. Merritt Centennials 22-35-0-2 (.390 - 46 points)

Games remaining:

Saturday, Feb. 20 vs. Trail

Home record: 15-14-0-0 (.517)
Games remaining at home: 1

Away record: 7-21-0-2 (.276)
Games remaining away: 0

Record vs. Interior Top 4: 7-16-0-1 (.313)
Games remaining vs. Interior Top 4: 0

Record vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots (Quesnel, Trail, Prince George): 9-4-0-1 (.679)
Games remaining vs. Interior Teams Battling for Last Playoff Spots: 1

Record vs. Williams Lake: 3-1-0-0 (.750)
Games remaining vs. Williams Lake: 0

Record vs. Coastal Conference: 3-13-0-0 (.188)
Games remaining vs. Coastal Conference: 0

Tomorrow's game against the Smoke Eaters is big in more ways than one as it's also Q101 Radio Night and we'll be there giving away more than $500 in prizes from our awesome sponsors - City Furniture, Crystal Gardens Chinese Restaurant, Work N' Play Clothing Company, Coldwater Hotel, Spaner & Webb Clothing Company and more!

We'll give all fans who bring a radio to the game a ticket and if they hear us draw their number during the broadcast, they'll win a prize -- which means I'll be doing colour commentary with Alex Grebenyuk for only the second time this season! Plus, we'll also be throwing prizes and gift certificates into the crowd during the first intermission!

Murray GM, Boston Pizza, Tim Hortons and Second Avenue Signs in Merritt have also all teamed up to present one of the most exciting contests for a Cents game in a long time. During the second intermission tomorrow, people who have qualified for the Shoot To Win all season will have a chance to win a brand new Camaro, it's a beauty and it's valued at more than $30,000!

Plus, four lucky 50/50 ticket buyers will have their names drawn for a chance to shoot to win $10,000 EACH! Each contestant will line up at the centre ice red line and have 20 seconds to shoot 16 pucks into the net. Those who are successful will win $10,000! It's gonna be awesome!

(Cents defenceman Mitch Jones)

There have been rumours going around regarding Cents defenceman Mitch Jones and his status with the club. All coach and GM Luke Pierce would tell me is that Mitch has left the team and been suspended by the club for the remainder of the season and playoffs. I have no idea other than that, but am willing to bet there will be all sorts of speculation.

Regardless of reasons, I hope that the Cents are able to put any sort of distraction behind them and focus on the task at hand, grabbing fifth place!