Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cents trade Pickering to Vees for Gemmell:

(The newest Merritt Centennials player - forward Sam Gemmell)

The BCHL trade deadline came and went with the Centennials making just one roster change. In what ended up being no surprise, forward Andrew Pickering (89) was traded to the Penticton Vees for forward Sam Gemmell (90).

Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce admitted that Pickering requested to be moved to a contender so he looked to accommodate that request. I'll admit I don't know a lot about Gemmell, who stands 5'9" and 172 lbs., but current Cents Jordan Soquila and Alex Valenti played with him in Burnaby last season and know exactly what he brings to the table. He played last season with the Express before being traded to Winkler of the MJHL and then jumped to Arizona State University (and was ironically a teammate of former Cents Patrick Rogan and Jarret Costello). Gemmell had two assists in 18 games with Burnaby and 12 points in 23 games with Winkler during the 08-09 season. He notched 15 points in 18 games with ASU this season, showing that he does have some decent offensive skills.

I'll have more on this trade with Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce tomorrow.