Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cents sign forward Lucas Daoust, Cents tryouts on the move:

(new Cents forward Lucas Daoust, then with Nipawin)

The Cents have used their final card to fill a 20-year-old roster spot by signing forward Lucas Daoust (89), who most recently played with the MJHL's Nipawin Natives. The Kamloops product had 14 points in 27 games with Nipawin this season before he was traded to the OCN Blizzard of the MJHL on January 6. He had 22 points in 56 games with the Natives last season. During the 2007-08 season, Daoust played with Golden and Columbia Valley of the KIJHL, posting 42 points in 42 games. He'll wear number 19 in his debut Friday against Penticton.

I had the chance to interview Sam Gemmell after practice today, I'll hopefully have that posted tomorrow. He's very excited to play in Merritt and show what offensive skill his stats may not indicate. Gemmell will wear Joey McEwan's former number 21 for the Centennials.

Forward Jeremy Long (89), who's actually from Merritt and was with the Cents during training camp, has been traded in the KIJHL. Long was acquired by the Golden Rockets from Grand Forks for future considerations. After sitting out competitive hockey last season, he has six points and 100 penalty minutes in 27 games this season. Long started the year with Chase and was released at the end of September when the team signed former Cents forward Devon Hobbs as its last 89-born player.

(Williams Lake forward Jordan Hirano)

Forward Jordan Hirano (92), who was in Cents camp in August, has been signed by the Williams Lake Timberwolves from the KIJHL's Fernie Ghostriders. Hirano showed some grit and good skill during training camp and I was hoping that he'd be back trying to make the Cents this fall, but alas he'll be plying his trade in Williams Lake. I think he'll get the ice time to be successful with the Timberwolves and it'll be interesting to see how the Fernie product adapts to the junior A level.