Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stark Pulls Offer to Buy the Centennials:

As was first rumored this morning, the proposed sale of the Merritt Centennials has fallen through after Brent Stark's group from Whitecourt, Alberta pulled their offer to buy the team.

Obviously a lot of questions have arisen as a result of these developments. I can confirm that Joey Bouchard, who coached Stark's junior B Whitecourt Wolverines for the last two seasons, is committed to coaching junior A hockey in Merritt with the Cents.

In reality, nothing changes for the Centennials as they will continue to be operated as a society. Shawn Mullin has an interview with BCHL commissioner John Grisdale regarding the pulling of the offer on his Trail Smoke Eaters blog.

I had the chance to talk with Cents governor and director of hockey operations Brian Barrett as well.

Brian Barrett on Centennials sale

Click here to download

All audio property of Radio NL (Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.)

At this point, I would say that all this does is buy the Centennials society another year to look for a prospective owner, whether local or otherwise. The bottom line always has been that the members of the society were willing to operate the club for at least this season. It's now up to the community of Merritt, both residents and business people to show their support for the team by way of ticket sales and corporate sponsorships. I guess that hasn't changed either with these developments because a private ownership would expect the same.

I hope to get Joey Bouchard's thoughts on the developments later today.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cents on Twitter:

This is on the Centennials website:

Be sure you're up to date with all the latest news from the Merritt Centennials on Twitter. Add us today with the username: MerrittCents and always be in the know! There'll be updates on events, camps, transactions and more!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bouchard Speaks About Pierce Hiring:

Sorry it took me so long to get this audio posted, but here's Centennials coach and GM Joey Bouchard on the hiring of Luke Pierce as assistant coach.

Cents Head Coach and GM Joey Bouchard

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Merritt Minor Hockey AGM:

I received this email from Merritt Minor Hockey Association Public Relations Director Tammy Bangsund:

Just a note to thank everyone who attended the MMHA AGM lastnite. We were overwelmed with the number of people who came. It is great to know that we have so many concerned & helpful parents/volunteers within our association!

Welcome to our newest executive members; 2nd Vice President Cuyler Dickie, Trophy & Awards Coordinator Amy Lange and Equipment Manager Trent Dolgopol.

President-Scott Robertson
1st Vice-Dave Zakall
Secretary-Tami DeSimone
Registrar-Elaine Gill
Treasurer-TDS Consulting (Tara Prest)
Ice Ambassador-Stacy Zakall
Concession-Betty Doberstein & Elaine Gill
Public Relations Director-Tammy Bangsund
Coach Coordinator-Ted Tom Jr
Risk Manager-Lynn Tulliani
Referee in Chief-Kerry Ashley
Initiation Director-Sheree Simon
Atom Director-Lynn Tulliani
Peewee Director-Christine Adams
Midget/Juvenile Director-Charlene Joe

*The following positions MUST be filled ASAP:

-Timekeeper Coordinator
-Ref Assistant

-Female Director & Bantam Director (Without directors in place prior to the start up of the 2009-2010 season, organizing & directing these divisions is not possible, so no ice will be booked until they are filled.)

*Please forward this email onto your hockey contacts.

*If you are interested in filling a vacant executive position please contact me ASAP.

*Next monthly MMHA Executive meeting is scheduled for; Tuesday August 4th,2009 @ 7pm - Interior Savings rear entrance.

*Watch for time & date of the annual hockey equipment swap!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Former Cents Forward Don Nachbaur Named Head Coach of the Binghamton Senators:

First off, I apologize for the lack up updates, I`ve been on vacation for the past six days.

This is from Greg Drinnan`s Taking Note blog, as another former Centennials player has moved up in the coaching ranks:

The Binghamton Senators, the AHL affiliate of the NHL’s Ottawa Senators, named Don Nachbaur their head coach on Friday.
Nachbaur joins the Senators after six seasons as head coach of the WHL’s Tri-City Americans. He replaces Curtis Hunt, who left Binghamton to return as head coach of the Regina Pats.
Nachbaur, 50, leaves behind a rather enviable record. No, he didn’t win a WHL championship but he and GM Bob Tory lifted the Americans’ franchise to heights it had never before seen, including two U.S. Division titles and a spot in the Western Conference final.
“I’ve never given a resignation before,” Nachbaur told Annie Fowler of the Tri-City Herald. “I’m not sure how to do this. I want to thank the fans. This is a great hockey community and the fans have been absolutely tremendous in their support. I’d like to thank everyone from the billets to the doctors.
”I came here knowing I had a challenge and I stepped up to the challenge.
The banners are an excellent feat. My ultimate goal was to win a Memorial
Cup, but it’s a step in the right direction for the organization.”
Nachbaur becomes the fifth head coach in Binghamton franchise history, following John Paddock (2002-05), Dave Cameron (2005-07), Cory Clouston (2007-09) and Hunt (2009).

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cents Name Luke Pierce Assistant Coach:

(Luke Pierce as a player for the Royal Military College Paladins)

Luke Pierce has joined the Centennials as an assistant to head coach and GM Joey Bouchard.

Pierce is a 25-year-old who grew up in Merritt, playing in the Merritt Minor Hockey Association before join the KIJHL's Revelstoke Grizzlies for the 2000-01 season. He played in the BCHL for the Cents from 2001-03 and was traded from Merritt to Vernon prior to the 2003-04 season. Pierce wrapped up his playing career last season after five years at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario. He graduated with a Master of Business Administration.

I hope to have Joey Bouchard's thoughts on Luke's addition to the coaching staff posted sometime tomorrow.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cents Name Richard Molenaar Assistant Coach:

(Richard Molenaar as a player with the Lakehead University Thunderwolves)

Richard Molenaar has joined the Centennials as an assistant to head coach and GM Joey Bouchard. Molenar is a 25-year-old from North Delta who just wrapped up his playing career last season with the Lakehead University Thunderwolves. He also played with the Winkler Flyers in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League before advancing to play college hockey with Augustana of the ACAC and then Lakehead.

Here's Centennials head coach and GM Joey Bouchard on the hiring:

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cents Seeking Billet Families:

This is on the Cents website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - July 8, 2009

The Merritt Centennials Billet Family Program plays a major role in our team's success both on and off the ice. It takes special people to open their homes and hearts to our players and we take the utmost care to ensure our players are placed in environments that are conductive to care, understanding and safety.

We ask that our players be treated like any other member of your family. It is important that the player respects the rules of his billet family and the billet family respects the rules of the hockey club. The values and principles for success that are essential to become a member of the Merritt Centennials will be demanded at the rink, in the home, in the community and in school.

ACCOMODATION REQUIREMENTS:

* Single or double bed per player
* Dresser and closet space
* Towels and shower supplies are responsibility of billet family
* Players may share a room with another player, but not with billet family members
* Laundry and mending are usually done by the billet family, but the player is encouraged to help
* Dry cleaning is player's responsibility
* Long distance phone calls are player's responsibility
* Parking space is required for players' car (if applicable)
* A desk or table with adequate lighting for school work
* A computer with Internet access

The Merritt Centennials currently provide the following benefits to our billet families:

* A monthly stipend to help cover costs (2009-10 amount to be determined)
* A full 30-game season ticket for each member living in the household

If you and your family are interested in hosting a Centennials player and would like to arrange a meeting with head coach and GM Joey Bouchard, please call Billet Coordinator Betty Doberstein at 250-378-6940 or email bettydoberstein@hotmail.com

Cents Announce 2009 Exhibition Schedule:

This is from the Centennials website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - July 8, 2009

The Merritt Centennials would like to announce their 2009 exhibition schedule. The Cents will play two exhibition games at home and three on the road.

The 2009 exhibition schedule is as follows:

Monday August 31 - Merritt vs. Penticton - 7 pm - Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
Wednesday September 2 - Merritt @ Penticton - 7:30 pm - South Okanagan Events Centre
Thursday September 3 - Merritt @ Salmon Arm - 7:30 pm - Sunwave Centre
Friday September 4 - Merritt vs. Salmon Arm - 7:30 pm - Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
Sunday September 6 - Merritt @ Westside - 2:30 pm - Royal LePage Place

Admission for both games in Merritt is free for season ticket holders and five dollars for general admission.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cents Main Camp Details:

This was posted on the Centennials website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - June 30, 2009

Merritt Centennials head coach and GM Joey Bouchard is pleased to announce the dates for the team's 2009-10 Main Camp.

Camp starts on Monday August 24, 2009 at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena in Merritt and we would like to take this opportunity to invite you!

We strive to give all players a vision and an outcome; to advance you to the next level and maximize your potential as a player and as a person in society. We are looking for players who have a superior work ethic, attitude, strong skating ability and most importantly, demonstrate a will to compete.

We have high expectations for the upcoming season and recommend you train hard to allow yourself the opportunity to show the entire Merritt Centennials organization your best.

The cost for camp is $140 and if you're interested in attending, please download the registration form.

Downloadable Registration Form

Once completed, please send the form along with payment (cheque or money order payable to the Merritt Centennials) to the Cents office. Our mailing address is: PO Box 1730, Merritt, BC V1K 1B8.

The camp has limited space and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.

If you have any questions or comments regarding our program or our upcoming Main Camp, please email head coach and GM Joey Bouchard at info@merrittcentennials.com or call 250-378-3607.