Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cents will be on the ice in Merritt for 2009-10:

Big news from Merritt today as after months of rumours, I received confirmation that the Centennials have received the financial support from a number of local Nicola Valley businesspeople to ensure the team operates for the 2009-10 season. Spokesperson Beth Nadeau was on my morning show:

Cents new financial contributor's group spokesperson Beth Nadeau

Click here to download

In the interview, you'll notice that Beth mentions that the team has begun a search for a new head coach. Al Glendinning's contract was up at the end of March and the current Board of Directors voted to not offer him an extension.

There's likely more to come from the Cents on the situation and as soon as I know more, I'll get it on the air and on the blog. The bottom line is that there will be Centennials hockey in Merritt for sure in 2009-10 and that's the best news I could give!

Cents WILL Operate in Merritt in 09/10, Glendinning Fired:

I've received confirmation that a local group has stepped up financially to ensure that the Centennials continue to operate in Merritt as a non-profit society for at least the 2009-10 season.

Also, the team's current Board of Directors has voted against offering head coach and GM Al Glendinning a contract for next season.

I'm chasing down these developments and should have more to post within the next hour.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

AHL on WHL and BCHL's Turf:

The American Hockey League governors approved the move of the Calgary Flames farm team to Abbotsford today. You have to wonder how this will affect the WHL's Vancouver Giants and Chilliwack Bruins, the NHL's Canucks and the BCHL's Chiefs, Express and Eagles. Here's the official release from the AHL: Austin, Abbotsford, Glens Falls joining AHL in 2009-10

More than anything, I can't imagine a bunch of Canucks fans cheering for Flames prospects, but what do I know!

Monday, April 27, 2009

BCHL Approves Sale of the Millionaires, Tuton Named Captain at UAA

The BCHL Board of Governors have approved the sale of the Quesnel Millionaires. Here's the league's official release:

Burnaby, BC -- April 27, 2009 -- The British Columbia Hockey League’s Board of Governors has approved the transfer of ownership of the Quesnel Millionaires Hockey Club to a group of local investors, the league announced Monday.

The team’s new owners, who purchased the franchise from a community-based non-profit society, will immediately assume full operations of the Millionaires. The transfer was completed after a lengthy planning and review process that was approved following a presentation to the BCHL’s Board of Governors.

“On behalf of the British Columbia Hockey League and its Board of Governors, I would like to welcome the new ownership group of the Quesnel Millionaires,” BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale said. “Committed local ownership is a hallmark of a successful junior hockey franchise, and I’m certain that this announcement signals a positive long-term step for the Millionaires organization and their fans.”

“We are very excited to be a contributing partner to the BCHL and look forward to working with the league moving forward,” said Millionaires governor Bob Sales.

“On behalf of the entire organization, I wish to thank the league and our fellow governors for their tremendous support throughout this process. This is an exciting time for the City of Quesnel and our franchise and we are honoured to be a member of the best Junior A hockey league in Canada”

Good news for the Mills, hopefully this will signal a change for them. Still no word on the Centennials status, but my gut feeling is that if the Cents sell, it will be a transaction very similar to this one in Quesnel.

---

Congrats to former Centennials defenceman Jared Tuton, who was named captain of University of Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves for the 2009-10 season. Here's the UAA release. In addition to being one of the biggest Mark Messier fans in the world (along with yours truly), Tuton is one of those players who wears his heart on his sleeve and brings much more to a game than shows up on the scoresheet.

Monday, April 20, 2009

April 20 Cents Alumni Update:

First off, I have to apologize for my lack of posting over the last eight weeks, there's lots going on at home and at the radio station that is keeping me VERY busy.

I also want to mention that I don't have any concrete news regarding the Centennials for next season. There have been all sorts of rumours flying around and there are a couple of stories and sources I am chasing, but thus far there is nothing to report. There was a rumour regarding a sale of the team, but at this point I do know for sure that nothing has been presented to the BCHL for the Board of Governors to vote on. Executive Director David Sales was able to confirm at least that to me last week.

All that being said, let's get to a major Cents alumni update!

D Scott Ford - AHL - Milwaukee (63GP: 4G, 6A)
F Mike Ouellette - AHL - Hartford (77GP: 15G, 14A)
D Stephen Margeson - CHL - Mississippi (55GP: 12G, 19A)
D Steve Weidlich - CHL - Laredo (50GP: 3G, 14A)
F Bryan Leitch - NCAA - Quinnipiac (39 GP: 12G, 47A)
F Blair Riley - NCAA - Ferris State (37GP: 7G, 9A)
F Steve Cameron - NCAA - Mercyhurst (40GP: 22G, 28A)
F Sean Weaver - NCAA - Western Michigan (32GP: 3G, 0A)
F Brandon Campos - CWUAA - UBC (18GP: 3G, 3A)
D David Simoes - CHL - Mississippi (56GP: 4G, 11A)
D Rylan Burns - NCAA - Amherst (28GP: 1G, 12A)
F Kevin Lessard - ACAC - SAIT (24GP: 6G, 9A)
D Jared Tuton - NCAA - U. of Alaska-Anchorage (32GP: 1G, 5A)
F Steven Cavanagh - ACAC - Augustana College (26GP: 8G, 5A)
D Brett Short - CIS - York University (28 GP: 1G, 5A)
D Nick Stermer - ACAC - NAIT (STATS N/A)
D Tyler Fuller - CHL - New Mexico (27GP: 0G, 5A)
F Brandon Wong - NCAA - Quinnipiac (28GP: 9G, 12A)
F Jesse Fratkin - NCAA - Brown University (12GP: 0G, 0A)
D Alan Mazur - NCAA - R.I.T. (35GP: 8G, 15A)
F Wade Macleod - NCAA - Northeastern University (41GP: 14G, 21A)
F Mike Ewanchuk - ACAC - SAIT (23GP: 7G, 6A)