Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cents Release Joey McEwan and Kevin Philp:

The Centennials didn't make any major trades at the December 1st carding deadline, but they did move a couple of players from their roster.

(Former Cents forward Joey McEwan)

The Cents have released forward Joey McEwan (89) from their roster. The Kelowna product played in 24 games this season for Merritt, chipping in with two assists. He was also fourth in the BCHL in penalty minutes with 87. McEwan had one more game to serve in a suspension he received for hitting Alberni Valley goaltender Frank Slubowski in a 3-2 loss last week. Luke Pierce mentioned in my interview that Joey is a great kid and it was a very difficult decision to make, but I would think that being a 20-year-old enforcer doesn't offer a whole lot of job security. In fact, the Cents were Joey's second team this season, he was released by Victoria during training camp after being acquired by the Grizzlies during the summer.

(Former Cents forward Kevin Philp)

The Cents have also released forward Kevin Philp (90) from their roster. I know Kevin had questions about whether he wanted to continue his hockey career at the end of last season, but he was encouraged by the changes made at the administrative level by the Cents and decided to return to the team this season. He suffered an injury in training camp and didn't play in any exhibition games before making his season debut on opening night. He then hurt his shoulder and word was he'd be out until the new year with the injury. Ultimately, Kevin decided to hang up the skates at the BCHL level. He's got a girlfriend here in Merritt and likes the community, so he's still seen around the Cents games. The 19-year-old wraps up his BCHL career with 18 points in 43 games. He spent 41 of those games in Merritt after playing two games with Victoria last season. Philp spent the 2007-08 season with Saskatoon of the WHL after being a 7th round Bantam pick by the Blades.