Friday, November 27, 2009

Cents romp over Williams Lake, Santa Claus Parade, Teddy Bear Toss:

Here's the recap of last night's 7-3 win over Williams Lake from Merritt Centennials.com:

Alexander MacMillan had three goals and Colton Sobchak added two goals and two assists as the Merritt Centennials snapped their five game losing streak with a 7-3 win over the Williams Lake Timberwolves on Thursday night in the BC Hockey League.

Dustin Johnson and Steve Tresierra, with his first as a Centennial, each added singles for Merritt (9-19-0-1) while Jeff Zmurchyk and Derek Hills chipped in with two assists each.

Trent Murdoch had a goal and an assist for the Timberwolves (6-18-1-0) while Jason Diehl and Cameron Hoffman each added singles.

Cole Holowenko made 31 saves in goal for the Cents for his fourth win of the season. Sean Donnelly stopped 37 shots in the Williams Lake goal.

Merritt was 0-for-3 on the power play. The T-Wolves went 1-for-6.

The Centennials next game is Saturday at home against Quesnel. Williams Lake visits Penticton Friday night.

News & Notes: Thursday marked the head coach and GM debut for Luke Pierce, who was promoted from his assistant coach's position on Wednesday, replacing Dylan and Tyler Forsythe ... Former Vernon Vipers assistant Maury Grant has stepped in as an assistant coach for Pierce on an interim basis ... Mitch Jones missed the game with an upper body injury, he's currently listed as week-to-week ... Joey McEwan sat out the first of his three game suspension after receiving a match penalty in Sunday's 3-2 loss in Alberni Valley.

I also had the chance to speak to Luke Pierce immediately following his first career BCHL head coaching victory last night.

Cents interim Coach and GM Luke Pierce

Click here to download

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.

Tonight is Merritt's annual Santa Claus Parade starting at 7 p.m. The Centennials have teamed up with the Merritt Junior Girls team for their float. The parade itself is one of the biggest nighttime Christmas parades in North America. Close to 80 floats (or more) from all over Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest have registered to be in Merritt!

Tomorrow is also the opening of Merritt's Spirit Square. From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Q101 gang (minus me, I'll be on-location at Murray GM) will be at the Spirit Square for our first annual "Five Buck Bear" fundraiser. Here's how it works:

1) We sell you a stuffed animal for $5.
2) For buying a stuffed animal, we give you a ticket to the Cents game against Quesnel.
3) You take your ticket and stuffed animal to the game and throw it on the ice when the Cents score their first goal.
4) The Cents donate the toys to needy kids in the Nicola Valley.
5) We donate all the proceeds from the stuffed animals sold to the Merritt Soup Kitchen's Christmas dinner.

It's a win-win situation! Of course, if you can't make it to our fundraiser, just bring your own stuffed animals to the game and get ready to toss them!