MERRITT CENTENNIALS vs. TRAIL SMOKE EATERS
October 24, 2009 7:30PM at Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
JUST THE FACTS: MERRITT
STANDINGS: 7th in the Interior Conference (5-9-0-1, 11 pts)
LAST TEN: 4-5-0-1
STREAK: Won 1
GOALS PER GAME: 3.20 (9th)
GOALS ALLOWED PER GAME: 6.00 (17th)
PP%: 26.56 (3rd)
PK%: 64.04 (17th)
JUST THE FACTS: TRAIL
STANDINGS: 8th in the Interior Conference (4-12-1-1, 10 pts)
LAST TEN: 3-6-0-1
STREAK: Won 1
GOALS PER GAME: 3.30 (8th)
GOALS ALLOWED PER GAME: 5.10 (15th)
PP%: 18.89 (9th)
PK%: 68.67 (16th)
TEAM LEADERS: MERRITT
GOALS: Dustin Johnson, David Sabey (6)
ASSISTS: Colton Sobchak (9)
POINTS: Colton Sobchak (13)
PIM: Kevin Philp (56)
WINS: Keith Hamilton, Cole Holowenko (2)
GAA: Cole Holowenko (5.69)
TEAM LEADERS: TRAIL
GOALS: Tye Lewis (11)
ASSISTS: Tye Lewis, Scott Jacklin (13)
POINTS: Tye Lewis (24)
PIM: Josh McEwan (39)
WINS: Kiefer Smiley (3)
GAA: Kiefer Smiley (4.31)
ON A ROLL: MERRITT
Dustin Johnson: 3-1-4 totals in last 4gp
Jordan Soquila: 2-1-3 totals in last 4gp
Alex Valenti: 0-4-4 totals in last 3gp
Andrew Pickering: 1-4-5 totals in last 5gp
Derek Hills: 3-1-4 totals in last 2gp
ON A ROLL: TRAIL (courtesy Shawn's Smoke Eaters blog)
Scott Jacklin (9 points in his last 5 games)
Nick Sandor (7 points in his last 5 games)
Tye Lewis (7 points in his last 5 games)
Sam Mellor (6 points in his last 5 games)
ICE COLD: MERRITT
David Sabey: 1-1-2 totals in last 5gp
Jeff Jones: 1-2-3 totals in last 6gp
Ryne Bodger: 0-0-0 totals in last 6gp
Daniel Chang: 0-1-1 totals in last 6gp
ICE COLD: TRAIL
Travis St. Denis: 1-3-4 totals in last 8gp
Sean Nugent: 1-0-1 totals in last 7gp
RECENT/UPCOMING GAMES: MERRITT
10/17/09 vs. Westside 3-1 WIN
10/21/09 @ Vernon 7-2 LOSS
10/23/09 vs. Quesnel 7-5 WIN
10/27/09 @ Salmon Arm
10/30/09 vs. Vernon
RECENT/UPCOMING GAMES: TRAIL
10/17/09 @ Cowichan Valley 4-2 LOSS
10/18/09 @ Surrey 6-4 LOSS
10/23/09 vs. Salmon Arm 7-1 WIN
10/30/09 @ Williams Lake
10/31/09 @ Prince George
09/11/09 Merritt vs. Trail 4-2 WIN
10/06/09 Merritt vs. Trail 8-3 WIN
* The Cents are 25-23-1-2 in the last six seasons against Trail (including playoffs) with a 17-8-0-2 record at home and a 8-15-1-0 record on the road during that span.
* Merritt was 2-6 against the Smokies in 2008-09.
* The last time Merritt defeated Trail was earlier this month on October 6, 2009 by a final score of 8-3. It was the Centennials largest goal output so far this season as Jeff Jones and Steve Tresierra each had three points in the win. Ryne Bodger, Colton Sobchak, Andrew Pickering, Jordan Soquila, Alex Valenti and Joey McEwan each had two assists. Only Jeff Zmurchyk, Kam Crawford and Steve Wall failed to register a point. Keith Hamilton made 43 saves in goal for the Cents.
* The Centennials and Smoke Eaters have met twice in the last six seasons in the playoffs, both times in the opening round with each team winning a series. In the 2006 playoffs, the Cents dominated the Smokies and won the series in five games while outscoring them 25-9. In 2007, Merritt and Trail met again in the Fred Page Cup post-season tournament and it took seven games for the Smoke Eaters to eliminate the Centennials.
* With the two playoff series included, Merritt has faced Trail more than any other team in the last six seasons with a total of 51 games played.
THE TIES THAT BIND
*Defenceman Jeff Zmurchyk is the lone former Smoke Eater on the Centennials roster while Trail's roster features no former Centennials.
*We'll see if blood is thicker than water in tonight's game as for the first time, Cents forward and older brother Joey McEwan faces his younger brother Josh McEwan, who the Smoke Eaters signed as a free agent earlier this month.
*The Cents and Smokies have been frequent trading partners in the last six seasons. Here's a summary of the deals:
19-May-09 The Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club transfers the playing rights of Jeff Zmurchyk (D)(90) to the Merritt Centennials Hockey Club for the 2009-10 season to complete the Jan 2009 transfer of Chad Gehon to Merritt for Scott Jacklin and future considerations.
10-Jan-09 The Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club transfer the playing rights of Chad Gehon (88)(F) and future considerations to the Merritt Centennials Hockey Club for the playing rights of Scott Jacklin (90)(F).
22-Jun-08 The Merritt Centennials Hockey Club transfers the playing rights of Chad Gehon (88)(F), Tyler Johns (89)(D) and Shane Oatway (90)(D) to the Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club in exchange for the playing rights of Cameron Brodie (88)(F) and Brad Davis (88)(F).
08-Jan-08 The Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club acquires the playing rights of Kevin Koopman (88)(D) from the Merritt Centennials Hockey Club in exchange for future considerations.
15-Oct-07 The Merritt Centennials Hockey Club transfer the playing rights of Paul Levarsky (89)(D) to the Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club in exchange for the playing rights of Todd Bowman (87)(D).
25-May-07 The Merritt Centennials Hockey Club transfer the playing rights of Cody Butcher (87)(D) to the Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey Club in exchange for the playing rights of Mitchell Smith (88)(F) and Brian Kang (88)(F).
03-Aug-05 The Merritt Centennials trade Daryle Hurd 85(F)to the Trail Smoke Eaters in exchange for Chris Shudo 86(F).