Saturday, October 31, 2009

Cents add Wall, Recap vs. Vipers:

The Cents have added G Riley Wall (89) as an affiliate player for tonight's game in Penticton.

Wall has played the last two seasons in the KIJHL, one with the Chase Chiefs and one with the Sicamous Eagles. In 71 career starts, the Kamloops product has a record of 35-34 and a 3.31 GAA.

At this point, I don't know if Wall will get the start tonight or if he'll back up Cole Holowenko, who dressed last night as the back-up to Cameron Dagg. I also don't know if this means Dagg is on his way back to Columbia Valley or if he'll be dressed tonight. Either way, the Centennials face another outing where they'll have an affiliate goaltender as either the starter or the back-up as both Keith Hamilton and Holowenko recover from injury/illness.

As for last night's game against Vernon, knowing how sick the Centennials were heading into the game (and still might be right now, they put up a very strong effort all things considered. If not for two sets of quick goals in the first period to give the Vipers a 4-0 lead, this game could have had a much closer result. The Cents and Vernon had a tied second period as each team scored just one goal and in a wild third period the goals were 5-3.

There a lot of positives for the Cents coming out of the game as they are the first team this season to score more than three goals against the Vipers in any game and also the first team to post more than 29 shots against the Vipers.

Here's the recap of the game from merrittcentennials.com

Merritt, BC - October 30, 2009

Mike Collins scored twice and added an assist as the Vernon Vipers topped the flu-ridden Merritt Centennials 10-4 in BC Hockey League action at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena Friday night.

Dylan Walchuk and Cole Ikkala scored twice, Darrin Robak, Rob Short, and Nick Amies also tallied for the Vipers (17-1-0-0).

Dustin Johnson had two goals for Merritt (6-11-0-1). Alex Valenti and Mitch Jones also added goals.

Affiliate player Cameron Dagg made 29 saves for the Centennials while Vernon netminder Blake Voth stopped 27 shots.

Merritt went 1-for-3 on the power play while the Vipers went 1-for-4. The game marked the first time this season any team has scored more than three goals on Vernon.

The Centennials return to the ice for a Halloween match-up Saturday night in Penticton while the Vipers are off until they head to Salmon Arm on Tuesday.

Sorry I wasn't able to get a Tale of the Tape posted yesterday, but vipersdiehadfan has both a great preview and recap of the game on his blog.

I'll try to get a Tale of the Tape posted for tonight and tomorrow afternoon's games, but no guarantees.