Monday, August 17, 2009

Cents Trade Fratkin to Nanaimo:

(Casey Fratkin with the Cents last season)

The Merritt Centennials continue to make news off the ice as I've learned that the team has traded F Casey Fratkin (89) to the Nanaimo Clippers for future considerations.

Fratkin debuted with the Cents as a rookie at the start of the 2006-07 season and played 47 games, posting five goals and five assists. The Burnaby product was traded to Vernon at the start of the 2007-08 season, but only skated with the Vipers for just over a month before being dealt to North Bay of the NOJAHL. Fratkin was then signed by the KIJHL's Chase Chiefs in January of 2008 and played 14 games with them. He was invited to Cents camp last season and made the roster as fourth line energy player before then-coach Al Glendinning asked him to switch to playing defence. Once he made the switch, Fratkin played some of his best hockey on the blueline.

Heading into this season, Fratkin was a victim of the numbers game. As a 1989 born player, his fate likely hindered on the performance of the other 20-year-olds. Obviously Nanaimo sees something in Fratkin and I wish him all the best with the Clippers.

I would presume that this trade was agreed upon while Joey Bouchard was still coach and GM of the Cents, which makes me wonder if there are any other deals out there that are just waiting to be finalized, or if they'll even be finalized at all.