Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cents Acquire Pistone from Nanaimo:

Another future considerations trade has been completed by the Centennials, although it may net them a player that will not be on the roster come September.

The Cents received F Tyler Pistone (90) from Nanaimo as the futures to complete the deal that saw F Matt Betker (89) moved to the Clippers.

Pistone may never don a Centennials uniform because he's made it clear to coach and GM Joey Bouchard that he'd like to try to play in the USHL with the Tri-City Storm, who made the Nanaimo product the first pick of the 15th round of the USHL draft last month.

If Pistone makes the jump to the USHL, the Centennials will be entitled to some type of compensation, whether it's cash or another player. Or they can hang onto his junior 'A' rights in Canada. The other wrinkle in the story is that Pistone's WHL rights lie with the Vancouver Giants, who may also want him in their lineup. The bottom line is that I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Pistone skating for Merritt any time soon, but then again, this is hockey, stranger things have happened.