Saturday, May 9, 2009

A look at what is to come:

With the RBC Cup just about done, we should know soon exactly what all the future considerations former Centennials coach and GM Al Glendinning acquired will become, either cash or players. From what I can see, here is what futures should be coming to Merritt.

- From North Bay (NOJHL) (acquired with D Andrew Glasser in exchange for F Alex Valenti (89) and more futures - not sure what may be heading to North Bay if it has not already - might be cash)
- From Trail (acquired along with F Chad Gehon in exchange for F Scott Jacklin (90)
- From Westside (acquired with F Matt Betker in exchange for F Chad Gehon)
- From Penticton (acquired for F Max Grassi)
- From Prince George (acquired with F Michael Nardi in exchange for F Alex Goodship)
- From Nanaimo (acquired for F Matt Betker)
- From Powell River (acquired with F Brooks Robinson in exchange for F Jordan Grant)
- From Spruce Grove (AJHL) (acquired for F Tyler Barr)

The futures that the Cents gave up at the deadline (to Vernon for D Steve Tresierra) are still to be determined, but rumblings are that somehow those will see G Harrison May dealt to Burnaby, but there has been no confirmation from any of the teams on that.

So from the way it looks to me, if I assume that all of the futures are players, (except for in the Valenti deal) which former assistant coach Bill Birks indicated at the deadline, then the Centennials have got at least seven new players coming their way. Throw into the mix the fact that impact players like Tresierra, Nardi, F Dustin Johnson (90), D Jake Baker (91), D Brad Bourke (89), F Gary Rai (90), F Jordan Soquila (89), F Colton Sobchak (90) and G Kyle Nielsen (90) are all eligible to come back and the Cents roster right now looks pretty good. F Ryan Aynsley (90) and F Kevin Philp (90) left the team at different points last season and it remains to be seen if they get carded when Hockey Canada releases the player cards in a couple of weeks.