Monday, April 27, 2009

BCHL Approves Sale of the Millionaires, Tuton Named Captain at UAA

The BCHL Board of Governors have approved the sale of the Quesnel Millionaires. Here's the league's official release:

Burnaby, BC -- April 27, 2009 -- The British Columbia Hockey League’s Board of Governors has approved the transfer of ownership of the Quesnel Millionaires Hockey Club to a group of local investors, the league announced Monday.

The team’s new owners, who purchased the franchise from a community-based non-profit society, will immediately assume full operations of the Millionaires. The transfer was completed after a lengthy planning and review process that was approved following a presentation to the BCHL’s Board of Governors.

“On behalf of the British Columbia Hockey League and its Board of Governors, I would like to welcome the new ownership group of the Quesnel Millionaires,” BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale said. “Committed local ownership is a hallmark of a successful junior hockey franchise, and I’m certain that this announcement signals a positive long-term step for the Millionaires organization and their fans.”

“We are very excited to be a contributing partner to the BCHL and look forward to working with the league moving forward,” said Millionaires governor Bob Sales.

“On behalf of the entire organization, I wish to thank the league and our fellow governors for their tremendous support throughout this process. This is an exciting time for the City of Quesnel and our franchise and we are honoured to be a member of the best Junior A hockey league in Canada”

Good news for the Mills, hopefully this will signal a change for them. Still no word on the Centennials status, but my gut feeling is that if the Cents sell, it will be a transaction very similar to this one in Quesnel.

---

Congrats to former Centennials defenceman Jared Tuton, who was named captain of University of Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves for the 2009-10 season. Here's the UAA release. In addition to being one of the biggest Mark Messier fans in the world (along with yours truly), Tuton is one of those players who wears his heart on his sleeve and brings much more to a game than shows up on the scoresheet.