Thursday, February 19, 2009

Coach-Go-Round:

Here's my article from the Merritt News... I know the Quesnel and Williams Lake stuff is old news for the blogosphere, but the info about the Cents may not be.

As the 2008-09 season winds down in the BC Hockey League, a couple of teams are already guaranteed to have a new look behind the bench next season. The expansion Williams Lake TimberWolves hired renowned junior B coach Brad Fox to be their coach and GM last year, but he resigned two weeks ago to return to coaching the Revelstoke Grizzlies of the KIJHL – a post he held prior to joining the T-Wolves. Williams Lake hired former WHL goaltender Geoff Murdoch to be their general manager and should have a new coach hired within the next couple of months.

The other change recently came in Quesnel, where bench boss Tom Bohmer stepped down after the Millionaires 9-3 loss to the Merritt Centennials at the end of January. Bohmer had actually been suspended indefinitely by the BCHL for his actions in a game on January 30th against Penticton and wasn’t even on the bench for the loss to the Cents. He resigned citing personal reasons and was replaced by Mills board member Tim Kirkham on an interim basis. Last week, Mills president Randy England stepped down as president and governor and has been replaced by Bob Sales, who is the brother of BCHL executive director David Sales. Word is that the Millionaires are awaiting a resolution to their ownership situation before a decision is made on hiring a coach.

Now locally, it’s not certain that the Merritt Centennials will have a new face in the coach and GM position next season, but it is a possibility. Current bench boss Al Glendinning is working under a one-year contract this season with a mutual option, meaning that if Glendinning wants to be back for the 2009-10 season and the Cents board of directors wants to have him back for the 2009-10 season, then the former BCHL Interior Conference coach of the year will be back. However, for Glendinning to return, he would have to express to the board his desire to come back, then a motion to offer him a new contract would have to be tabled by a board member, and then the motion would have to pass with a majority vote by the board of directors. There are lots of arguments for and against having Glendinning back as coach and GM of the Centennials, and I’m not going to get into those arguments here, as I firmly believe that pretty much everyone in the community has an opinion on the subject, but the bottom line is that his contract is up at the end of March and it shouldn’t be long after the final game is played this Saturday against Trail that we’ll know if a familiar face or a new face will be coaching the Centennials when they return to the ice in September.