Saturday, January 10, 2009

Late Saturday Update:

Well, it looks like the dust has settled on BCHL trade deadline day and the Centennials were involved in no fewer than eight deals that saw them add one new player to their roster, subtract two players, and add a boatload of future considerations.

As reported earlier on this blog, the first move to come down the pike was the Cents acquiring 20-year-old F Chad Gehon and future considerations from Trail for 18-year-old F Scott Jacklin. Gehon was then traded to Westside for 19-year-old F Matt Betker and future considerations. No sooner had I posted that the Centennials grabbed Betker when he was then traded to Nanaimo for future considerations. Of course, Gehon was Cents captain last season after Kevin Koopman was traded to the Smoke Eaters at the deadline.

In the meantime, the Cents picked up 20-year-old F Max Grassi from Burnaby for the rights to 18-year-old D Andrew Glasser. Grassi too just wound up being a pawn for Al Glendinning as he turned around and sent him to Penticton for future considerations. Ironically enough, it's the second time that Grassi has been Centennials property, but never donned a Merritt uniform. Remember the Cents acquired Grassi from Nanaimo back in July 2007 in exchange for F Warren Muir.

The Centennials weren't done yet, trading 19-year-old F Alex Goodship to Prince George for 18-year-old F Michael Nardi and future considerations. Nardi has 12 points on the season, five of which came in the Spruce Kings first two games of the year, against the Cents.

From there, in what some would consider the most shocking move, the Centennials traded captain and 18-year-old F Jordan Grant to Powell River for 19-year-old F Brooks Robinson and future considerations. They then turned around and flipped Robinson, who had left the Kings, to Grand Prairie of the AJHL for the most popular player, future considerations.

And with that, the deadline passed. Now there may still be some deals that trickle in once approved by the BCHL, but I would say the Centennials are done. It was a surprise to see Grant moved, but word is that he did ask to be traded. It's no surprise that Goodship was dealt because he does have that scholarship to Dartmouth and was a very valuable asset for the Centennials heading into the deadline. I thought that F Paul Forster would have likely been traded, but who knows what happens behind closed doors and maybe he wanted to stay in Merritt. It wouldn't be a shock to me if he is named the Cents new captain.

It also appears that D Jimmy Geerin has decided to join the Cents as a new sweater number is listed on their website for him. Nardi is also listed on their website as sporting number 16. He's the third player this season to wear it, as F Dylan Herold and F Alex Valenti did previously. F Ryan Aynsley, who has left the team and presumably asked for a trade, is still listed on the roster so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him prior to Friday's game against Westside.

As for the Centennials involvement in all the other moves, what it seems that Al has done is load up on future considerations in the form of cash or players to be named later, or both. I'm thinking that it's likely both. More to come if I find out that the Cents were involved in any more deals. I'll have more analysis in the morning!

1 comment: