Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cents Swing Two Trades:

It hasn't been announced officially yet (on the BCHL website), but the Cents have traded 19-year-old forward Alex Valenti to the North Bay Skyhawks of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League for future considerations. I don't think a player from North Bay will be coming Merritt's way, so I'll speculate that the futures are in the form of cash to the financially challenged Centennials. Valenti's offence will be missed as the St. Louis product had just started to get hot with the Cents, notching nine points in his last ten games.

EDIT: It has officially been confirmed that Valenti and futures are off to North Bay, but the Centennials did acquire a player in the deal. 18-year-old defenceman Andrew Glasser. No word on when Glasser will make his Centennials debut, but he looks like another strong offensive defenceman. He's no slouch in the size department either at 6-foot and 195 lbs.

On another note, the Vernon Vipers website is reporting that the Centennials have acquired 18-year-old defenceman Steve Tresierra as part of a three way trade that sees former Cents captain Cam Brodie and Mike Leidl join the Vipers while John Digness is on his way to Burnaby. I'm not sure exactly how Merritt figures into the deal, but my guess would be that future considerations are headed to Vernon.

This is a huge pick up for the Vipers as adding Leidl and Brodie to a defence core that already includes Kyle Bigos, Adam Thompson, and Kevin Kraus makes them that much more difficult to play against and even more of a threat in the Interior Conference.

I like the acquisition of Tresierra for the Cents. If he plays, he adds a quick skating and potential power play threat to the blueline as four of his five goals have been scored with the man advantage. Tresierra isn't lacking in the leadership department either, as he was named an alternate captain for the Vipers earlier this season in just his second year. If Tresierra chooses not to report to Merritt, then Al Glendinning has another trading chip leading up to Saturday's deadline.

EDIT: According to this morning's Vernon Morning Star, Tresierra is excited about coming to Merritt. Here's from the article itself:

Rather than sulk about being shipped to a last-place team, Tresierra is taking the trade in stride. “It’s going to be a new experience,” said the second-year blueliner. “Merritt’s pretty excited to have me, and I’ll likely have a larger role. I’m just going to go in with a positive mindset and try to help the team out.”