Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cents Add Two New Players:

The Merritt Centennials have made their first trade of 2009, four days before the January 10th trade deadline.

The Cents acquired 18-year-old forward Scott Jacklin and 19-year-old defenceman Jimmy Geerin from Cowichan Valley in exchange for 17-year-old defenceman Curtis Gedig.

Jacklin and Geerin have 17 and 16 points respectively on the season and Geerin becomes the Cents top scoring defenceman, with four more points than Brad Bourke.

Gedig is a good kid and a very solid defenceman. He battled an ankle injury earlier this season, but definitely has the ability to put points up on the board. He's a strong enough skater that he responsible defensively as well. There's a reason why he was so heavily scouted by WHL teams during the summer. I certainly wish Digger all the best in Duncan.

As for Geerin, I can only remember him briefly from his days with Trail and Penticton last season and he seemed to be a solid two-way D-man that was a thorn in the side of the Centennials. He was part of the trade in December 2007 that saw Nathan Westover go from the Smoke Eaters to the Vees. I don't know much about Jacklin, but looking at his stats, it appears that he's a small, skilled forward that has the potential to put points on the board. This season he's been more of a set-up man with four goals and thirteen assists, but his thirteen goals as a rookie last season show that there's some sniper ability. The Kimberley product had 67 points in 52 games with the KIJHL's Columbia Valley Rockies during the 2006-07 season.

Unless either is part of another trade, I would expect both to make their Centennials debut Friday in Vernon.

The Cents are currently at 22 players on their roster, but I'm not aware of how many player cards they have left, meaning that there could still be more trades to come.