Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cents Future?

I had a chance to talk to BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale on my morning show yesterday about the financial situation with the Cents.

Here's the interview in its' entirety:

BCHL Commissioner John Grisdale

Click here to download

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Yulin' With The Page

This holiday season, I found that my Christmas Eve and Christmas night were incomplete. In fact, they have been since 2004. You see, that's the final year that the fine folks at Sports Page produced their annual Yulin' With The Page year-end highlights special. In addition to their loyalty to the Canucks and Don Taylor's infamous "Mighty Dykes" comment, Yulin' With The Page was what brought Sports Page a cult following in BC. (And the fact that they always provided BCHL scores at a time when it wasn't the easiest to access such things) Sports Page also ended up being the major training ground for some of the best broadcasters in the business. Check out this alumni including their current occupation:
  • Paul Carson (Marketing & Sales - Team 1040 Vancouver)
  • Jay Durant (Sports - Global TV BC)
  • Dan Elliott (Sports - Global TV BC)
  • Shane Foxman (Media Consultant)
  • Robb Glazier (Retired)
  • John Good (CBC TV Toronto)
  • Chris Hebb (Senior Vice-President of Broadcasting Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment)
  • Barry MacDonald (Morning Show Co-Host - Team 1040 Vancouver)
  • Sean McCormick (On-Air - Sportsnet)
  • Craig MacEwan (On-Air - Sportsnet)
  • Dan Murphy (On-Air - Sportsnet Pacific)
  • Blake Price (Evening Host - Team 1040 Vancouver)
  • Dave Randorf (On-Air - TSN)
  • Scott Rintoul (Morning Show Co-Host - Team 1040 Vancouver)
  • Gord Robson (Sadly passed away at age 56 in Edmonton - March 2008)
  • Richard Saxton (Website Freelance Writer)
  • John Shorthouse (Play-By-Play - Vancouver Canucks)
  • Don Taylor (On-Air - Sportsnet Pacific)
Now there's something for young broadcasters to aspire for!

Let the memories begin:

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merritt-y Christmas!

I won't be posting too much over the next few days because I don't know what my access will be to a computer as we travel from relative's house to relative's house. Have a very Merry Christmas and thanks for the initial reaction to the blog, it's been unexpected and appreciated! Email me with any notes to mornings@cjnl.com

Monday, December 22, 2008

Dec 22 Cents Alumni Update

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so with that being said, I've decided to offer something to Cents fans and readers of this blog that Shawn Mullin has offered on his Smoke Eaters blog.

I'm going to try and keep a running list of former Centennials players playing elsewhere during the 2008-09 season. I'll update the list as often as I can (or have time to do) and can acknowledge right now that the list will be far from complete. If you have a link to a player not on the list, email me at mornings@cjnl.com

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cents Win!

The Merritt Centennials got an early Christmas present on Sunday as they snapped their sixteen game winless streak with a 6-4 win over the Quesnel Millionaires. Harrison May led the Cents with 56 saves while Alex Goodship, Jordan Grant, Paul Forster, and Alex Valenti each had three points.

I was especially impressed with the Cents second line of Jordan Soquila (who scored one of the prettiest goals you'll ever see), AP call-up Scott Kirkham, and Alexander MacMillan. Their first line of Jordan Grant, Alex Goodship, and Alex Valenti was also very good (obviously since they combined for nine points). The third line of Alessio Tomasetti, Paul Forster, and Colton Sobchak also played an exceptional game and it gives hope to the fact that the Centennials could have the secondary scoring they've so dearly missed in many games this season.

It's obviously not a desirable situation to give up 60 shots in any game, but full credit to the Millionaires for hanging in there, especially after pulling Evan Karambelas and replacing him with Kiefer Smiley. Smiley was very good for the Mills, considering he played last night in Trail and came in cold almost midway through the second period.

The Cents are now off until Friday, January 2 when they host a team that has had their number for most of the season (who hasn't?) - the Prince George Spruce Kings. In fact, the Cents open 2009 with three straight home games at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena. With everyone at today's game receiving free pizza courtesy of Domino's in Merritt, here's hoping that the crowds will be bigger for that weekend.